1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo SRM model string trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

PLEASE save yourself the trouble and avoid this brand of weed eaters. The spool design is a complete joke. Yes, Yes, I got what I paid for, BUT YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD LAST MORE THAN 3 DAYS!:angry:

I bought a replacement head SAME THING AGAIN

Who designes this stuff for ECHO?

Some engineer with a a pencil who won't have to use the piece of junk.

This is what I get for not buying STIHL.

Thanks for reading.

Gene $immons
  2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 Echos, 2 Shindaiwa's and 2 Husqvarna's with the same bump heads on all of them. I have ran them for 5 years with few problems. You may have gotten a lemon. Take it back to your local dealer and demand a refund.

Good luck.
  3. Gene $immons

A lemon head --TWICE???

Sad part is that the motor is fine, and I like the weight of the trimmer. But how many expensive replacement heads do I have to buy?

Is there a way to attach one of my old Sthil heads to the Echo shaft or are they incompatable? Anybody done this successfully?
  4. Blades of Steel

What exactly is happening to them?
  5. Gene $immons

Bump head - string everywhere.

I am loading it correctly. The plastic "bump" does not lock the head in place. Poor design.
  6. Blades of Steel

I have not had that problem unless I don't tighten it completely. I do know that when they are new they are stiff. Without sounding sarcastic, are you putting a good turn on them till you feel it lock into place? If not the damn thing will fly off and your continually rewinding it.
  7. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

None. Every piece in the head assembly is available to buy individually. Warranty should cover if defective, but honestly, it sounds as though you're winding the line on the spool backwards. Have your dealer show you how to do it.
  8. Gene $immons

Thanks for the replies.

I am winding it correctly.

Doesn't matter. I am going to go get a few new Stihls today.

I will never buy ECHO again.
  9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Echo for over 15 years and have NEVER had this problem. Not to say I have not had any problem because I have but NEVER this one.If you are winding in the direction of the double c's it should not do that. When you put the spool in the head does it turn counter clockwise it the haed about 1/16 of a turn and make a click? I also push on the white piece before inserting the spool to rotate it so the tabs on the white piece face the holes in the head. Then I can insert the spool almost fully into the head and feed through the eyes before pulling the string out of their temp notches in the spool. Then it should make that final 16th of a turn counter clockwise with the spool and it should click into place in the head.
  10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Put a stihl auto cut on it and it is alot better.