ECHO SRM trimmer w/air leak. Anyone else seen this??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bavarskas, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bavarskas

bavarskas LawnSite Member

I have a ECHO SRM2100 trimmer, 7 years old. With approx. 150 hrs. It will idle fine but is leaning out on the top end. I have done the following.

1) Replaced the air filter
    2) Replaced the fuel filter
    3) Cleaned the screen in the exhaust
    4) Installed a carb kit
    5) Changed the plug
    6) Checked the compression (130PSI)

Still have the same problem. While the trimmer was idling I sprayed starting fluid around the carb. The RPM’s started on increase when I sprayed around the throttle linkage. There apprears to be an air leak around the brass throttle “butterfly” shaft. The die cast aluminum carb housing is “ovaled”.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Thanks,
    John

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure the head gasket is not leaking, I have run MANY echo units and have not had a problem with air leaks on the throttle shaft/bearing, but you might be on to something. A new carb is about $50 so it is a little painful.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Normally the carb kit don't come with gaskets for both sides of the carb, did you replace those?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The seals on the crankshaft also go out...usually the one on the clutch side.
    Sorry for all the different post my mind is not working well today.

5. bavarskas

Thanks for the info ed2hess.

I do not think there is a head gasket. The cyl. and head are one die casting.

I did not replace the gaskets on either gasket on either side of the carb. They appeared to be in good shape. Maybe I should replace them. This makes sense, because it is in this area that when I spray starting fluid the RPM's increase. If a carb is only $50 maybe I should just replace the whole thing with new gaskets.

Thanks,
    John

6. earthtrends

earthtrends LawnSite Senior Member

John I've had 2 SRM 2100's do the same thing and have tried everything. Had them in the shop 3 times and everytime they come back they run fine for a little while then back to the same ole thing. Mine starts out fine but when you take the choke off and go to throttle up it dies. Bought a new 260 last year and it does it a little but runs fine after warm up.

7. bavarskas

Thanks earthtrends. That settles it, I am looking for a new trimmer.

Thanks,
    John

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Hold on now, did it do this before you rebuilt the carb? The carb kits come with extra gaskets that look almost the same. If you compare the gaskets you'll see with the kit you need to put two gaskets together. If you use the wrong gaskets it will not seal properly or if you put 3 gaskets together that will cause an air leak also. Your problem seems to be carb related so if you like the trimmer I would just fix the one you have.

9. bavarskas

Playboy - I did not pay close enough attention to the gaskets. I believe that I replaced like for like gaskets. But I cannot positively say that I did not accidently put the wrong gasket in the right place, but I will check.

Thanks-a-million for the advice,
    John

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you can get a crank and piston in a one piece cyclinder/crankcase. There are either two/four screws holding the clinder onto the crankcase and that gasket eventually fails and the two seals on each end of the crank fails. Don't give up on these old units they are iron clad. I keep a 1500 running to show the factory sales guy each year. I keep putting pressure on them that the old stuff is better than the new stuff.