Echo Stick Edger Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Toolman 1, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Toolman 1

Toolman 1 LawnSite Member

Having a problem with PE2400 Echo Stick edger. Starts ok. After running at full thorottle for 2 to 5 minutes the rpm start to go Up and down then it stalls and is hard to start. When it does start it the rpm's go up and down.
    What I Have done is replaced sparp plug,replaced fuel filter, fuel vent, Taken the carb apart cleaned and inspected. finely took carb from another echo that runs fine and installed it on the stick edger. the stick edger still does the same thing. Any ideas
    Thank You
    Tim

2. kevin55rc

kevin55rc LawnSite Member

Hello, try psi testing your fuel pick up line, make sure the screen inside the fuel filter body is open and you can see daylight through it, fuel impulse hole passage partaily blocked?? we are a echo dealer and these new epa engines are sooooooooooo sensitive to gas vapor preasure, if all else fails try a completley different brand/octane of fuel, you might be suprised.

Kevin

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Did you check the muffler (spark arrestor) screen?

4. kevin55rc

kevin55rc LawnSite Member

yes great idea there bob, guess i slipped-up and forgot that !

I need more coffee........

K

5. Toolman 1

Yes I removed the screen and cleaned the exhaust port

6. allenandinga

allenandinga LawnSite Member

Try checking the fuel line. I just found out what was causing a similar problem on a Husky saw that has been giving me a fit. It was a small crack right where the line goes through the grommet. Couldn't see it until I took it all the way out. I should've taken it out to begin with. Would've saved alot of trouble checking other things that didn't fix it.

7. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Since it appears you've eliminated everything else, I'd suggest you check the crankshaft seals. They seal each end of the crankshaft where it comes out of the block on each side of the engine. They keep air from getting into the fuel area under the piston. Over time, they dry out and crack which let's air in causing the engine to run way lean.

Look in your manual, and you'll see where they are. They just slip over the end of the crank, and are pressed into the engine casing. There's one under the pull rope mechanism, and there's one under the rotor/coil on the other side. You'd want to check the one under the pull rope mechanism first 'cause it's easier to get to. They're easy to replace; it's just that you have to take so much stuff off to get to them.

BTW, I have a PE2400; it's worked well for me for 9 years now. Since all of my two cycle equipment is Echo (except for a Stihl chainsaw) and again, it's all 9 years old, I'm changing these seals on one piece or another pretty often.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you do.

8. SAWDOC

SAWDOC LawnSite Member

If you have the tools, pressure and vaccum test the engine. Also check for spark before and after it runs. And last check you tank vent.

9. Toolman 1

Replaced vent and fuel line still won't run right. How do you remove nut fron crankshaft under pull starter.

10. SAWDOC

SAWDOC LawnSite Member

You'll need a Piston stop or an impact gun used gently.
    ? Does it run alright after it has been sitting for awhile?