1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo Stick Edger Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by H&H Lawn Service, Jul 16, 2008.

1. H&H Lawn Service

H&H Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I picked up a new Echo Stick Edger last night. It's a PE-200 model, I know it's not big enough to dig trenches, however I believe it will sever it's purpose for the 5-6 accounts that we will use it on.

I was reading the manual last night and it says you have use a certain type of oil. My question is this Echo trying to get you to buy their oil or can we run just any two stroke oil. It would seeem like a pain in the butt to have another gas can for just the edger. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I can't see any good reason why you'd HAVE to use their brand of oil. I use Amsoil synthetic 100:1 smokeless in all my small engines.
  3. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up the jug of Echo oil while I was at the dealer, just because its right there in front of me. Amsoil I would have to drive 20 minutes to get. You can use whatever you want.
  4. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

To keep the warranty in effect on the ECHO edger, you need to use an oil with a JASO rating of FC or better. The ECHO oil had a FC rating last year, but their new formula was upgraded to an FD rating this year. So it doesn't have to be the ECHO brand oil, but there are only a few brands out there with a FC rating or higher. It is on the package. Check with your dealer, if they are good, they will know.

Be careful, appearances can be deceiving. For example, the fully synthetic Stihl oil has a JASO rating of only FB. Look for the JASO rating. It is on their package. If the oil manufacturer does not disclose their JASO rating, you have to assume the worst.

By the way, don't use any fuel with more than 10% ethanol, no matter what brand of 2 cycle you are running. The fuel, with just a little bit of oil (50:1), is all that is protecting your engine that is running between 7,000 and 12,000 rpm. Your piston is moving up and down the cylinder between 100 and 200 times every second!

Don't listen to those ignorant fools who say oil doesn't matter. If oil doesn't matter, then try running your equipment on straight gas and see how that works out for you.
  5. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Well put green monster. By the way, Amsoil Saber Professional has the JASO FD rating.:clapping::clapping::clapping:
  6. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

We use the stihl synthetic (white container) in everything including Echo. You dont have to use the Echo brand of oil, just the right ratio mix. PS. if you wanted to dig a trench with your edger, it will fit a Trenchblade 58 on there and you can use it for making bedlines.