echo/stihl augers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jaguar4000, Jul 30, 2004.

1. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

Need some input here. In need of a handheld auger as I am getting ready to do some mass field planting on a tree farm. Will be planting mosltly 3 gallon material on central Florida soil. Will be checking out the Stihl and the Echo augers in the next few days at the local dealer. Have only run Echo equip and have had great luck with, but will check out the Sthil also. Any other brands out there that I should look at. Thanks for any input here.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt you will be able to find an auger big enough to drill holes for 3 gallon material. Handheld that is.

You may be able to find a 2-man auger big enough though.

The biggest auger I've seen for a handheld Echo is a one gallon size. You can get the "engine drill" and auger from A.M. Leonard, but expect to make some modifications to the auger. For one, you will need to lengthen the shaft so you don't break your back when using it. When you lengthen the shaft, use a solid piece of steel, something harder than mild steel. And have it turned down to fit the chuck of the drill, but from the bottom of the bit the turning needs to be conical into the shaft. Otherwise the bit will simply shear off. Trust me on this.

Good luck finding something large enough!

FWIW, I don't think Stihl has any augers large enough for one gallons, but I could be wrong. Do a search on this forum, augers have been discussed a few times....

Dan

3. KCON1

KCON1 LawnSite Member

I USE AN EARTHQUAKE BRAND AUGER FOR PLANTING UP TO THREE GALLON SIZE PLANTS AND IT IS A ONE PERSON AUGER

4. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Have you ever caught a rock with it?

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Earthquake auger is properly named because if you hit a root or other object you will be on the receiving end of an earthquake.

The Stihl has a brake lock that stops the auger instantly when it hits anything hard and begins to spin around.

Oldtimer

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

EFCO - great handheld, great power, we have a 4, 6, & 8 inch auger.

We install decks, fences, plants, bushes, ect. Great machine. I also looked a red max - $250 higher than the efco.