Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna Pole Pruner

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DBBN, Oct 8, 2006.

1. DBBN

DBBN LawnSite Member

I just found these forums this evening and I'm happy to post my questions.

I'm in the market for a pole pruner and wondered if you've used them? I'm hoping for reliable moderate to heavy use. The local equipment dealer sells and services Echo and Stihl so all else being equal these brands start with an advantage over the Husky.

The Echo, model PPT-260 looks like it would best meet my needs primarily due to it's reach of 17'-8" with the optional 5' extension. The fiberglass body is a nice feature although I have no intensions of using the saw near power lines. It has a 25.4cc engine.

The Stihl, model HT 101, has a reach of only 11'-6". It has a 31.4cc engine.

The Husky, model 326P5X, has a reach of 16'-0". It has a 24.5cc engine.

Attachments aren't considered in my decision as this tool would have only one purpose...to prune while I'm standing on the ground. Price is not an issue either as all of these are priced between $550 and $600 which is not enough of a diffenence to influence my decision.

Have any of you used the Echo pruner? Would you recommend it? Thanks in advance for your replies and advice.

Moderator, please move this thread if you believe I'll get more replies in another forum.

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I have no direct experience however almost ALL of the tree removal companys around here use the 17 ft echo pruners and man can they reach. If I did pruning I would have one in a second.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. jbpo

jbpo LawnSite Member

I've Used The Echo And It Is Great. Real Easy To Use And The 17' Length Is Real Useful. Keep Extra Oil For The Bar And Chain.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo PPT260 is one fat a$$ machine. I bought one 3 years ago.
    Talk about a money maker, I have trimmed more palm trees with that thing it is pathetic. It is by far the best piece of Echo equipment I have ever bought. It was paid for in a mere 2 days of trimming Palms.

It always cranks, I think I have changed the spark plug one time. It doesn't hog the chain lube, and isn't much of a gas hog.

Go get one and you wont regret it.

5. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

The echo 260 is by far the best one.

6. DBBN

DBBN LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the replies, your unanimous endorsement of the Echo made my decision easy.

I just ordered the Echo PPT-260 from the local dealer and he says I should have it by the end of the week. Too bad he was out of stock...I was looking forward to using it today. While there I picked up a Greentouch, three place line trimmer rack to mount on my Foster 14'-0", 12,000# GVW, wireless remote hydraulic dump trailer. I expect this rack will make it easy to have the pruner easily accessible whenever I have a need for it. All in all I'm calling this a good day.

7. DBBN

DBBN LawnSite Member

I couldn't be happier with my decision to purchase the Echo pruner. I've used it three days non stop and I find it lives up to the recommendations I've received here. I especially appreciate the low odor and low smoke from the 25.4cc engine. I will note that it does get a bit heavy :weightlifter: by the end of the day though. Thanks for the advice.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say go with the Husky. :cool2: :cool2:

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ha ha ha. I was going to post about how it will work you real good until I got to your last post! I love the Echo model too, it's a real work horse.