Echo String Trimmer - spooling the head?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Recently got a little Echo SRM210i (love the starting system by the way). The problem I have is: How do you get the spool off the head??? The instructions say to twist the head until the little white pegs are out of the holes and then you can pull it. Problem is the darn thing won't twist so I can pull it off to restring. What is the trick?!?!?!?!????

This is the first time I've run an Echo anything and I got a good deal on this brand new so I figured I'd give it a try. The thing starts and runs great but the head has been nothing but problems. It came stock with a Rapid Loader head (what a joke!), so I called Echo and told them that "if I had realized it came stock with the Rapid Loader head I wouldn't have bought it, that Rapid Loader heads are not the industry standard. Tap - for - string heads are and that I feel Rapid Loader heads should be available as an option". I've got to say: I'm impressed with Echo's customer service department for helping me exchange the head for a bump - for - feed head. However, it seems to me like a piece of s***. But I'll give it the benefit of a doubt because perhaps I am doing something wrong. Or maybe it just isn't working right (but keep in mind I have run this new spool for less than 10 minutes).

Any help on this is appreciated.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Just hold the drum with left hand and the spool with right hand and turn spool clockwise. it should only turn about 1/4 revolution.
    Good luck man! :eek:

3. Pecker

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice.

Now I can't get it back on! The string eyelets are 45 degrees turned from the peg slots (the ones on the spool itself that line up with the pegs on the trimmer) which causes the string to wrap between the spool and the head. I can't turn the shaft to line it up with the spool. I gotta tell ya, I 'm getting fed up with this crap. I think Echo is innovative (i-start system, meeting emission standards, etc.) and I appreciate that. But what really matters is a spool system that is easy to use. Nobody wants to waste any more time than is absolutely necessary on this type stuff and this is unnecssary! Don't ask me what grade I'd givem' on this part of the project if I were the teacher!

Thanks again for any input.

4. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Take the spool head back off (which you probably don't have it on at this point) and grasp the center piece inside the head still attached to the trimmer. You should see a spring behind this piece. Push up on the center assembly and you should be able to spin it so that it lines up with the holes in the spool head.

5. Pecker

Thanks Bull. That did the trick. You guys were very helpful! And thanks to you I still have all 4 hairs on my head!!!! Thanks again. And now that this string head makes a little more sense, maybe Echo 's are ok after all. . .

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

this is kinda funny. It seems so simple after I've done it about 2 thousand times. But new people always seem to have trouble with it.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

a note*****
    just be sure that you clean the grass, dirt and other crap our of the nooks of the spool everytime you restring. if you dont, all that crap may keep the head from sliding on/off properly in the future.

8. Pecker

Proenterprises, will do. Thanks.

9. penguin

penguin LawnSite Member

Hope you guys still check this and can be as helpful as you were for the last guy. I ran into a problem where my head stopped spinning. The engine is running a little high pitched but it is running.

Really would like to get this fixed

Thanks

10. IamTheEcho

IamTheEcho LawnSite Member

Sounds like you have a broken shaft. I never had a Echo break on me, so I am not sure if it would be at the engine or at the head.