1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo submersed, still running!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jun 16, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My grandpa has a pond and wanted the cat tails cut down in it. So I took my little inflatable boat and the SRM2400 split boom with hedge trimmer head on it and we put a battery and 36# thrust Minn kota motor on it (moved good and fast) but the motion of the trimmer swinging back and forth was too much motion for the boat and motor to hold and I couldn't run the motor and trim at the same time (not enough room for 2 in the boat) so we eventually tied a rope to it and they pulled me around the pond. Well once I lost my balance and the trimmer, all of it, went under water for a split second, I turned it off and pulled it out in one quick motion but it was smokin and sizzlin. Got out on the bank and pulled rope about a half dozen times before I realized the switch was off LOL so I turned it on and it fired right up. The air filter was still dry so that gives you an idea how long it was under, but I was still impressed... took a few minutes for it to smooth out after it got running. Here's a pic:

12.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

This job was alot harder than it looks beleive me LOL my legs are still sore from holding that out there like that....

14.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

15.jpg

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

And I just HAD to try using the b/p blower to propel the boat :D it worked good with the tube in the air or below water (made a nice rooster tail) but it worked best just hovering over the water's surface. It got it moving about as fast as the 36# thrust Minn Kota motor... when I retire this blower I'll probably use it to make a radio controlled hovercraft LOL.

10.jpg

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

be careful about how many you cut at once. when they start to decay they eat up a lot of oxygen in the water and can lead to a fish kill.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks for the heads up, I'll tell Papaw... kinda too late though we already cut them all :(

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Was the water too cold to just wade into and cut them that way?

Gravely_Man

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i've heard that if you don't want them to grow back that you should cut them off below the waterline.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Papaw could use a few of those grass eatin Carp.:rolleyes:

10. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

I like the blower motor :drinkup: :drinkup: