Echo T model Trimmers Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daveslandscaping, May 12, 2008.

1. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

Let me start out by saying I am a huge Echo fan. I have 2 trimmers, 2 backpacks, stick edger, and hedge trimmer. My first and last pieces of commercial equipment are all Echo.

I bought the SRM260T about 2 years ago from my dealer. I had the SRM2400 for years, not a single complaint. Decided to treat myself to a more powerful unit and I was going for the SRM260, but the dealer sold me on the extra power of the 260T when I got there. He failed to mention that the extra guts was due to gear reduction in the head; wish I did my homework.

Undoubtedly, this machine has a ton of guts. I have yet to bog it down. However, I only really use it for finish work and I usually walk pretty fast
    when I am trimming. I really need to rev it up to get the head speed to keep up with my walking. Despite the extra power I feel like I can cut faster using my 2400. I wish I got the 260, but I guess I can always swap out the head.

I am just curious how you guys feel about the T model trimmers. Anyone have the same issues/complaints as me? I can say they def have their place in trimming tall tough grass, but IMO I feel you are better off going with the regular model for finish trimming.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You must be kidding the 261T is a monster when it comes to trimming it will pull a 22" piece of cord and never bogs. Your unit must need a carb adjustment. I have four 260 units and definitely less power to the head than the eight 261T units.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

the 2:1 gear reduction means for every 2 shaft rotations, the trimmer head completes 1 revolution. You have to rev it up higher to speed the head up. This is how it was designed-

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I know where you are coming from. We went to all stihl 110's about four years ago, and have been switching to redmax 2600's. The 110's are great for brush clearing, but all day long as a finish trimmer they are not the best. For trimming well maintained grass you do not need a trimmer that can take down a tree. A trimmer with light weight and ample power is all that is needed. The guys are more productive and if they hit something it doesn't explode on impact. We have powerful brushcutters for brush work and heavy trimming. For everyday maintenance it all 2600's. Typically a machine that is meant to be strictly a commercial trimmer feels much smoother also than a powerful unit that can take 100 different attachments.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I know what you are talking about. I ran a "t" model for two weeks and took it back for a "s" model. Everyone is right about the torque, but the head speed for doing backcuts along drive-side walks was not to my liking. I sure wish I had your 2400, I believe these were the best alaround trimmers ever made. Right now I am liking the Kaw stuff.

6. daveslandscaping

I never said anything about it bogging. I actually said I have never bogged it down at all.

My complaint is the head speed relating to the gear reduction. Unless I really rev the 261T the cut quality just isn't there. I get better cut and I can walk faster with my 2400 with much less engine noise.

I do love it for edging belgian block curbs tho.

7. daveslandscaping

Haha. I should take a picture of my 2400. It looks like hell, but still runs like a top. I broke the starter last week and I just splurged on about 40 bucks in parts to keep it going (filters, hand grip, nothing major). It was the first commercial trimmer I bought so it has some sentimental value. Works great as a backup now.

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not understand why you would need so much torque for trimming. My PAS-265 has plenty enough power to trim and I keep the engine rpm to a minimum. ;)
    You can expect the "T" models to last much less than the regular versions as well.

9. daveslandscaping

Thanks for the input guys. I was worried I was going nuts. Our guys don't know what I am talking about, but both me and my brother feel like we get a better cut with 2400 and can walk faster. We def move a lot faster than they do.

When I get a chance I will probably try to get the gear head for the non-T model. I'm sure I'll be more satisfied then.

10. daveslandscaping

I agree on both counts. I'd rather keep the RPMs down: less noise, vibration, less fuel. I have never felt like I had a shortage of torque on the 2400. I would have brought back the 260T for the non-T, but I thought I would get used to it. 2 years later and I am still unhappy with it.