Echo Torque better then Stihl??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1506cmo18, Apr 19, 2011.

1. 1506cmo18

1506cmo18 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at purchasing either an echo power head or a stihl

Both are similar in price for power heads and attachment. Stihl is about 30$ more expensive for the setup I want.

One dealer who sells both Echo and Stihl says the echo PAS 225 has more torque then the Stihl KM55. Any truth to this? I've gone on Echo's website and have found nothing about torque.

Echo 225 is a 21cc motor and Stihl KM55 is a 27cc motor.

Also opinions on Echo and Stihl and which one you would buy.
    Echo also has a high torque head, will this make up the difference in torque?

The attachments I'll be buying is a trimmer head and an edger.

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl trimmers have torque that echo can only imagine..

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Both the units you are looking at are underpowered. If it was me I would go with Stihl, in fact, we are in the process of changing from Echo to Stihl.

4. 1506cmo18

1506cmo18 LawnSite Member

I realize they are small and I'm looking at the bigger models but it doesn't seem right that a smaller cc motor has more torque

the km55-km110 there is only a 4 cc difference

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

6cc difference. More important the Stihl is almost 30% bigger in displacement. I know the little Echo 21cc is powerful for it's size, but I am willing to bet the Stihl is more powerful.

I think the salesman don't know what he is talking about. Don't you think 21c is a little small as an edger? I am usually pro Echo, but building a multi-tool system base on a 21cc head??!! I would go with Stihl KM55. It is up to you whether you want to step up to the PAS 265 or KM90, that will depend on your budget. But If I were you, I would pay a little more to have a bigger start!!

6. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Go for the Echo PAS 265 if you're doing a multi-tool set up. I have one and it's a torque monster.

I've got the trimmer head, edger, hedger and pole saw for it. No complaints in the power department.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Given 2 engines with the same displacement and compression, the engine with the longer stroke usually has more torque. The engine with the shorter stroke has more horsepower. Final drive ratios can also affect torque but not horsepower.

Horsepower is how fast you can go. Torque is how much load you can move.

8. Km81

Km81 LawnSite Member

There is no replacement for displacement!

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Echo has more torque.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Yes their is , it's called boost.