1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo Trimmer 265 - T

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Butch1957, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Butch1957

Butch1957 LawnSite Member

On an Echo Trimmer how does one clean the catalatic converter that is in the muffler ? For some reason it seems clogged when running. The screen is clean.

Just not running smooth. It has a new carby and a new fuel filter along with a spark plug.

Thanks.

Please respond.

:dizzy:

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The output port in front of the muffler is partially clogged. Pull the muffler and take the spark plug out. Carefully scrap the hole clean while blowing air in the spark opening. Piston needs to be all the way down. If no air then just be as careful as possible. If you are unable to rotate the piston freely before you scape the debris come back and I will tell lyou what the problem is.

never had clogged muffler on about 10 of these and some with heavy use and 5 years old.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Use wood sticks for scraping and decarbon spray. Upgrade to a better quality of oil and mix at 50:1. You should have fewer carbon issues in the future.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

To remove built up carbon in a muffler, I fill it with as much kerosene as possible then set it on a concrete block and use a torch to get the kerosene to burn. Let it burn out, then tap the muffler gently with a small hammer or screwdriver then blow out with air. This may not be an OSHA approved method but if works for me. The muffler has some baffles in it but a catalytic convertor is something I'm not aware of.

5. Falzy

Falzy LawnSite Member

I have similar issues with my 265 AND 266. I have to run them with choke and even then they don't run at full RPM's. I've clean the port (some build up, that's it) and changed everything out (Filter's and plug). Machines have 18 months 3 months of use. Anything I'm missing.

6. Patriot Services

Sounds like carb rebuild time. This is when little bits of fuel line start coming off and winding up in carb passages.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Falzy

Falzy LawnSite Member

After 3 months of use.....really? I haven't done anything to the mufflers...could that be the problem?

8. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

I agree if the spark arrestor screen is clean (if it has one then it doesn't have the converter in the muffler) then the exhaust port is probably clogged.

9. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

On yours, the carbs need to be richened up. They are very lean from the factory to meet epa requirements. Any time you have to run with the choke on, that means they are not getting enough fuel.

10. Patriot Services

I meant on the older ones. 3 months not likely. Since its on both machines you might try a different oil.
    Posted via Mobile Device