1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

echo trimmer acting funny...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Mar 14, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I started my equipment 2 weeks ago, evrything ran fine. I go to start my trimmer yesterday, and it keeps bogging down. It runs decent if I keep one hand on the gas, the other moving the choke back and forth. It will start right up after stalling, just can't get it to run normal for 10 seconds. while running w/ no choke, it runs nice then starts to bog, so i go to the choke, then it runs nice for a few seconds, then back to no choke....? Its not the muffler because I removed the little screen that collects carbon 2 years ago. I still took the muffler off anyway and gave it a scrape, but it runs the same. I tried w/ filter and without the filter, same. Would bad gas do this? the gas isn't that old, i got it like the end of january.
    Like i state all the time, if i bring it in to my local shop, I'll get it back in 2 weeks!!!!! Any ideas, its gotta be something minor and stupid. Thanks. Oh, by the way, its an echo srm 2100 weed whacker (trimmer;) ) 3 years old.
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The carb needs rebuilt. The diaphram is bad. Our echo did the same thing 2 years in a row.
  3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a carb adjustment to me. Back off on the low speed mixture screw a little to give it more gas. I usually get it so it will rev without hesitation then floor it and adjust the high speed until it max's rpm's then turn screw out slightly until it just starts to sputter.
  4. fga

I've never did a rebuild myself on any of my machines. Is that a 20 minute job, or a Pain in the......... I'm pretty handy, just usaully slower, so I drop my equipment off. Is there a "rebuild kit' for this?
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would personally just step out and buy a new trimmer. Whenever someone happens to the 2 cycle equipment engine wise, and its major, I just go and buy a new one.
  6. fga

Ksland, are the screws you're referring to the 2 colored ones, red and blue? and if so, which would be the low speed and high speed?
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the new trimmers have very little adjustment that you can do to them. They have limiters for EPA reasons. The rebuild kit for that Echo model is less than $8. And not that tuff to put in. The shop we use will do a carb rebuild for under $35.
  8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Try brand new fresh 89 to 93 octane gas mixed with Echo oil.

That might do the trick....if not, the diaphram in the carb is bad...

Buy a new one, the new SRM-210 has more power and a better carb on it and it's still only $199.99 at your local dealer.
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You can try replacing the gas filter on the tank pickup tube. They get dirty easily and will starve the machine for gas. They are just solid felt cloth. It's a cheap test to try.......
  10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I have a basically brand new complete PAS 2400 head you can have for about $70. This is the same head as an SRM 2400, but came on my spilt boom machine, hence the name PAS