echo trimmer advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clayslandscape, Apr 27, 2013.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older trimmer I like to keep as a back up. It runs fine but really does not like cutting anything of much size or thickness. It's an SRM 210. It used to cut very well but seems carb is clogged.
  2. clayslandscape

Any advice?
  3. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly if you want help you need to tell us what the symptoms are.

Cuts out when given throttle. Sputters at high rpm. Dies when given full throttle. Only runs with choke etc etc. You get the idea.
  5. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

I recently serviced an Echo trimmer, and just covered the basics. (check the off switch, check spark, compression, Plug, air filter, cleaned vent tube, cleaned carb, cleaned the exhaust and swapped the primer bulb.)

Your post is not very clear. I get the impression, that your trimmer once Ran fine, got stored and is now finicky.

If you're more descriptive of the problems, someone is likely to chime in with more useful info.
  6. clayslandscape

The trimmer starts and idles perfect. It does not seem to get to the speed it used to and will not cut much or anything without bogging down.
  7. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Senior Member

Cheap try, I would seafoam it. Get the spray. I go through a bottle every couple months and fall and spring without fail I give each piece the treatment. Take off air cleaner, start, work the throttle while spraying seafoam till it bogs 4 or 5 times, then run at full throttle while spraying till it dies. Let sit 10-15 minutes. Then run at full throttle till it stops smoking. Don't do it in the garage it will smoke you out!

I had a stihl chainsaw hat was given to me. It simply would not fire even with ether . I was getting ready to leave my shop and sprayed seafoam into the carb. Ten minutes later just for kicks I pulled and it fired right up and ran great!

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Have used a 210 a bit, did the exact same thing you're describing, cleaning the carb fixed it. Seafoam is absolutely worth a try(only additive I don't mind paying money for, it's great) and often will clean the carb enough for it to run good for a while, the best thing to do is clean the carb though.
  9. Ryan mow 4 $

Ryan mow 4 $ LawnSite Member

I think your problem is with the air intake or exhaust because it can run ok at idle but when u want full power something clogging it and not letting u get enoph air or gas but I'm not realy sure just an idea
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn LawnSite Member

Usually when mine are not revving up all the way to full its the exhaust port that is a little clogged up. As far as not having as much power, that's probably due to a fueling issue. Cleaning the carb is where I'd start. But you may also want to replace your air and fuel filters.