Echo trimmer burning the crap out of my arm!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SamTheLawnMan, Jun 23, 2006.

1. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Does anyone else have this problem. I have an Echo 260T and when I'm trimming and that motor housing touches my arm it burns the living hell out of me. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do?? Like putting something on the housing to prevent this?? Thanks

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think all trimmers can do that... Mine does for sure, once you use it long enough I think that part of your arm gets toughened up, lol. I pay little attention to mine, unless I have my arm wrong and it really gets me good, but it only hurts for a second and I know to move my arm a little!

What pizzes me off is when I CAN'T feel the exhaust, like when Its cold out and I'm wearing a sweatshirt or coat. I have almost NO good sweatshirts or jackets anymore because they all either have a black mark from the muffler or are BURNED and MELTED on the right elbow...

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I feel your pain.

We have a Echo SRM 260 and it burns my elbow. I am the only person who rests my elbow on the head of the unit when line trimming, it does not bother the employees.

I had some options, use the older 2601's, the Redmax split-boom or stop line trimming, I chose the latter.

I guess your option is to get employees...:dizzy:

I did speak to our dealer after purchasing the unit a few years back and he informed me this was a common complaint...I dunno.

Even with this problem (for me) the Echo SRM 260 is the preferred line trimmer on the trailer.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

only had this happen once but that was when i was putting down my stihl and i touched the muffler, OUCH, that thing gets hot!!

5. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I think I have a permanent burn mark that will never go away on my arm...LOL

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It takes time but learn not to rest your arm on that part :)

This is one of the reasons I like the Stihl 4-cyclers, even the 2-cyclers they built them so you could do it but with the 4-cyclers it is really cool there, never a problem.

Say, your trimmer before the Echo wasn't a Stihl, was it?

Because mine was, and by the way, if you try and position your arm a little different, suddenly the spark plug zaps you LOL you think the muffler is bad you wait until the spark gets ya!

The ONLY thing you can do is remove all those plastic components. Now IF you touch it after you do that, it will REALLY be hot but having removed the crap gives you some extra space of clearance as well, and remembering that it's REALLY hot now helped me never to touch that part again (not true, I still touched it a few more times before I learned for good).

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Topsy

I have been at this game for 10+ yrs (never got burnt by the 2601's or Redmax). If I havent learned by now I never will.

What exactly is "that part" to you anyhow?

FYI- I aint restin' my elbow on the muffler.

8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Take an old pair of socks (toes or heal worn out) and cut the "tops" off. Slip the top over your hand, slide it up your arm to the area that is getting burned. You now have an insulator to protect your arm. And since socks come in pairs, you also have a spare.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

My Echo's heat up terrible...no I should say they did. They are all dead now! I think I am done with Echo for a while as they seem to die quicker then my other units. My Shindaiwa's don't seem to heat up, only the Echo's. I believe they are likely overheating from running without the gaurds on them and running long string. You just have to get used to holding the unit differently, and likely excepting the fact that the trimmer will wear out faster.

10. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I have and Echo PAS 260 which gives me the same arm-burning problem when I use it with the trimmer attachment for extented periods of time.

I talked to Echo representatives at EXPO in Louisville last fall and also contacted Echo through their website this spring. Echo's response was: "we are in the process of developing an arm support shield for this unit". They said that they will send me one at no charge when they become available. I haven't seen it yet.