ECHO Trimmer Fuel Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jud149, Oct 28, 2009.

1. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

It wants to die when giving in gas from idle. Sometimes it will die when idiling. If I adjust the carb by maybe just an eight of a turn on both the lo and hi screws, it will run fine for a while and then start doing the same thing again. I rebuilt the carb about a year ago and it was fine until recently. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

I spoke with ECHO tech and they said they recommend replacing the carb on such units after about 300 hrs. Mine has about twice that amount.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What model trimmer.....I seldom see a need to replace a carb on Echo. How much use on this machine? Just be sure the ports are clean and fuel system is good meaning the filter and lines coming up. And do you have any leaks on the four gaskets? Spray carb cleaner on all those gasket while the unit is running to see if it makes a difference.

4. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. The model is SRM-1501. It gets used about once per week and is roughly 20 years old. I did have the carb apart again last week and blew out all ports. It ran better for about 1/2 hour and then I had to readjust the carb. All it needs is about 1/8 of a turn on the idle screw and it's okay again for a while and then the problem resurfaces. I'll try spraying the carb cleaner to see if it makes a diff. If it does run better, would you recommend rebuilding or new carb? Thanks again!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Have you replaced the fuel filter inside the tank in recent years?

It's not hard to do but you do have to pull the tank, if I recall correctly.

I'm also assuming the air filter is clean, and the spark plug is good and gapped correctly.
    By the way, if you pull the plug, replace it with a new one.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Just enough to keep it alive at idle, but not enough to really feed it.

7. madmower

madmower LawnSite Member

if you pull the carb take it to someone with a ultrasonic cleaning tank and let them clean the carb it sounds like you have some crap in the carb which gets sucked in one of the small pasages and causes the problem you discribe

bill

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have good luck with rebuilding carb...did two echo today. And you don't need anything fancy to clean out port on carb it can be can of carb cleaner with pipe stems. I would be sure that both crank seals are in place and then I would replace all the gaskets...that is pretty old.

9. Brick One Lawns

Brick One Lawns LawnSite Member

there are little rubber check valve type things inside the carbs. I was told that these valves go bad?, rot out?, or something due in part to using 87 octane gasonline. I was told to use 89 and I wouldn't ever have a problem again... just what I was told when I had to replace my carb on my echo hedge trimmer.

10. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like an air leak. could have a seal or gasket leaking. Pretty tough to justify putting much money into a 20 yo echo