echo trimmer going dead?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my echo trimmer seems to have a lot less power than it did when i bought it 2 years ago. it takes longer to warm up, and has less power, it is the GT-200R, and i am using a bump head with .105" diameter line. any sudgestions?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull the muffler off and check the exhaust port. I think you might have a partially clogged exhaust port causing your problems.

3. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

If it dies, check out Redmax. They have some great stuff!:drinkup:

4. mike lane lawn care

i'd like to, but right now i need to buy a car(chevy astro van from another thread), insure it, and buy a cyclone rake. so i need this for a while.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Echo is famous for clogged exhaust ports and mufflers. Take it off and check the port. If thats not clogged take the 3 screws out and look at the screen then throw it away. Clean everything up and put it back together and it should run like a champ again.

6. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

thats the process i would go through .if that dont work then you might have check the cylinder unfortunately.if you are confidant that you have been putting the right fuel in you should be maybe ok there.when was the last time you cleaned the exhaust port if it was a while i think you could be safe to say thats your prob

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Mine is doing the same thing and its only a year old. It takes forever to start. I have to keep messing with the choke and throttle at the same time to get it to even run, once its warmed up it doesn't seem to have the power it use to.

8. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Just had the same problem with one of our echos a month ago.

As stated previously, take the exhaust cover off, you will find a small screen, take it out, throw it away and put the axhaust cover back on. While your at it, you may as well change the spark plug, and why not change the fuel filter. Few buck in all, and your machine will run great again.

Weve had this problem with all our echo's. Switching to red max next season I think.

9. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

ALL manufacturers have to put the spark arrestor screens in their mufflers so all will clog over time. A lot has to do with the gas an oil mix that you use.

We have had our share of issues with Stihl, RedMax, Shindaiwa and Echo as far as clogged spark arrestor screens.

BTW....we love our Echo product. We have switched over to all Echo now (great dealer support) and we could'nt be happier.

10. mike lane lawn care

thanks, i'll try that, i just did a service on it with the re-power kit from echo, fuel, air, and spark plug.