1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

echo trimmer going dead?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 4, 2006.

1. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Damn, this sounds like what mine did. I assumed (after a tune up kit) that it took a dump......threw that sumbi*ch in the trash. It was only 2 years old. Bought a new one....oops...hope the wife doesn't read this. :laugh:
  2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Try lighter line...As the Clutch may be wearing. I've used the .105, and personally, I like the .80 or .90 WAY better than the thicker stuff for grass. Give me the .105 for a weed clean up though.
  3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have used .095 all of the last 4 years.
  4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure the lines are clean. Grab the the fuel lines and stretch them a little bit. You will see an "alligator skin" appearance and should see small perferations in the line.

Usually syptoms of the fuel line problem is it will start and run. Will die down after a couple seconds at WOT. If you let off , you will be able to throttle it up again and it will died down again. It won't necessarily die out all together though. If it does, it will usually restart right away.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had this same problem and it was a check valve in the gas line.
  6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I fixed it. I replaced the long fuel line and rebuilt the carb with the 10 piece $10 Zama set that the carb manufactuer makes. All the parts I changed seemed fine, the spring was maybe a bit soft but the screen didn't seem clogged. So I think the problem was the fuel line, since the same day I saw fuel dripping off it was the day it stopped working, but come to think if it I had to throttle up the idle speed a few weeks back. So maybe it was a combo problem.

Anyway it works, $12 and some on the job training saved $200-$300 on a new trimmer. Ya I just spent the $2 on the fuel line I didn't feel like explaining the echo recall to the guy at the shop who found the $10 Zama rebiuld kit for me instead of spending the $40 on the echo rebuild kit (what a rip.)
  7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I would be surprised if your dealer replaced the coil. Coils are not the first item to replace when you have a performance issue. The fact you left the machine at the dealer for a coil replacement and then say you will r&r the carb if that did not fix the problem reveals you lack of understanding of the operation of the equipment. Check the carb first.

Sometimes I wonder just how much you pay attention to what you say. The fact that an engine does not perform at its optimum speed under load is a primary cause for the buildup of excessive carbon on the spark arrestor and subsequently the exhaust port.

These are facts not opinions or as you put it, bs.. After cleaning a few thousand of these and helping customers determine the correct line length for the diameter best for their engine size we stop seeing the problems associated with slow under load operation.

It was good to see that Lawncuttinfoo got his fix with some simple maintenance on the carb and fuel system. Maybe you should take the cue and do the same.

Happy cutting.
  8. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

Hi , I am having some issues with my Echo gt-200R. I replaced plug, fuel filter, gas lines, took off the screen arrestor, cleaned the cylinder port. There is a new carb too! Its still not running right!
    When i give it throttle it seems to flood out. Could i need a whole new exhaust? It does look old.
  9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Is the plug wet?
    Try running it without the muffler for a bit and see if that helps clear it out.
    The muffler probably has a ceramic catalyst comb in it, could be clogged, not likely, but...
  10. mayhem69

mayhem69 LawnSite Member

yes, i did this also,i ran without the muffler, did same thing. i did not know there is a screw adjustment on the carb, could this be why? maybe i will try to adjust tomorrow. Any idea which way i would have to turn if flooding out?