echo trimmer leaking gas

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Craig Turf Management, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

My Echo string trimmer is pouring gas through the carb. When I pull the cord, gas comes from the exhaust. Any idea what's going on and how to fix?

Thanks, Bill Craig

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure building up in your fuel tank.
    After I shut down, I loosen the fuel cap. :waving:

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

your diaphragm is shot rebuild the carb

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen Echo trimmers with Zama Carbs that the needle sticks and causes this issue, pull it apart and inspect the needle sometimes the crome coating peels off, repl with new carb kit and reset the needle lever to Zama spec. Hope this helps.

5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Is rebuilding the carb a big deal, or do I need to put it in the shop? Don't mind paying the shop, but they'll have it for a week. Bill Craig

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You sure it's through the carb and not the line at the carb?Echo has had a problem with the gas lines cracking and spliting alot.
    If it's a stuck needle tap it with a screwdriver a couple times

7. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know how good you are with a screwdriver, but its not that bad. It still may be cheaper to have your mech. look at it for you, you may not need the whole kit and it may cost more for you to buy the kit mess up installing it and still end up taking it to the shop. But a week in the shop during summer is not that bad. I am almost 2 weeks deep right now. :angry: Summer Sux!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Several things to do:
    1. Be sure the gas lines are on tight-at carb-put tie wraps on.
    2. Make sure no gas leaks around the stopper on the gas tank where the two gas lines go through-replace black stopper if leaking.
    3. Replace the breather
    4 Get a carb repair kit. They don't cost much. The carb rebuild is very simple if you carefully note how parts are orientated when you take the carb apart. Go slow.
    5. Blow out all the ports when you have the carb apart

Pressure can build up in tank when it is hot and in the rack vibrating around and it comes out everywhere. That isn't what is happening to yours, from you description, correct?