Echo trimmer maintenence

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn guy, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Hi all,
    I have a few echo trimers that I want to tune up for the lawn season.
    I purchased new plugs and air cleaners and I was wondering if there was anything Else I needed to do to get them back into shape. The carb areas are oily can I clean this area with soapy water? What do you do to get your trimmers ready for the season?
    Thanks

2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

dont forget the fuel filter, its in the gas tank attached to a fuel line.

3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

oh i forgot, use carb cleaner, you can get it at any auto store

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No just wipe the oily areas off with a clean rag.Sounds like you have it covered

5. webami

webami LawnSite Member

I like to clean the shafts and heads with simple green (I know they just get dirty, but they look almost new again). You might want to take out the spark arrestor and check it or just throw it. Sometimes, brake cleaner is cheaper, and its the same. Depending how you put them away, pull the head off and make sure there isn't a bunch of crap in there.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to check and fill gear box at end-very very important. Generally we put new heads on each year. Every other year we replace the gas lines and the breather. Should take the starter rope mechanism off and blow it out to be sure it is clean. Check the plastic pawls for wear and lube the pivots only. Clean out the exhaust ports at least twice a year. Check the drive clutches for wear, our last about 6 months and if they wear out you will toast the engine. I am maintenance guy for our company and we run mainly Echo.

7. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Is there a place to get a manual to do these things? Some of the items I can do but some I dont understand, gear box? plastic pawls? drive clutches?

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can go here; http://www.echo-usa.com/technical.asp And down-load a parts and operators manual that will show you the various parts and a description, Have your model and serial numbers handy.

9. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn guy, I'm just north of you by a few miles, if ya need some help fixin your machines, drop me a PM, I can help ya out if you ever need it.