Echo trimmer problem, weird

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mr. Magpie, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I have a serious out of warranty problem with my SRM 280. The problem has gradually become worse over the past 3 months. The unit is 1 year old, light use strictly by me personally.

At first, the unit would get "spoiled" if I attempted to use the trimmer line too long. Specifically, it would start well, but not allow full throttle until it warmed up.

Now, it has gotten to the point where the problem no longer correlates with the length of my trimmer line. Here is the description of my problem:

In the morning, it starts and runs fine (but not accepting absolute full throttle - slight loss of power). On the second lawn, it starts up great, but will not accept full throttle unless I either turn the unit upside down or let it warm up idling for about 5 full minutes. This continues for the rest of the day, with a recent loss of overall power. It always starts just fine.

All the simple maintenance fixes have been done multiple times (air filter, spark, fuel filter, checked the exhaust screen, checked the check valve on the gas tank, etc) and the unit has been treated well with proper Amsoil mix, no dropping, etc.

My question is twofold:

1) Could 87 octane be responsible?
    2) Could ethanol be responsible?
    3) Could using the trimmer line too long be responsible?
    4) What do you think the positional factor of this problem means (runs better upside down)? Recently, even turning it upside down hasn't been working.
    5) Could it be a collapsing fuel line?

I will be taking this thing apart tomorrow to check for pitting and to basically inspect it. Thanks.

2. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely the ethanol. Stay away from that at all costs.

3. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

First thing is echo recommends mid grade gas.
    Use 89 Octane [ ] (mid grade or higher)
    Then you need to make sure the ethanol is less than 15%.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you missed taking the unit in after 30 daysto have the carb adjusted corrrect....it was free. They woudl have taken the plugs off the two needle adjustment which need to be adjusted now. Take it in and pay them to take out the plugs and show you how to adjust the carb.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Okay, checked the screen, but did you take the muffler off and check the exhaust port ?

6. Mr. Magpie

Thanks. What plugs need to be taken off? Just the one spark plug or another set of plugs?

7. Mr. Magpie

Actually, this unit does not have carb adjustments for acceleration or high speed, just idle adjustment. Is that what you are talking about?

8. Mr. Magpie

Ok, I will check that tomorrow. Thanks.

9. Mr. Magpie

Yeah, I just found that out reading the manual. I just bought my first supply of a mixture of 87 and 93 today.

10. Mr. Magpie

The owners manual says that ethanol 10% is ok. I wonder though.....