1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo Trimmer Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jud149, Apr 16, 2005.

1. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

This unit is becoming very hard to start (cold). After quite a few pulls, the plug becomes wet with gas, flooded. I then dry the plug, disconnect the fuel line and it will finally start. Once started, it runs fine (after connecting the fuel line, of course). I assume it's carb rebuild time but any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I think you have answered your own question here --- reubuild the carb. I suggest that you go to a big after-market supplier for your kit. You might also try Travis at Landscaper Supply who is a sponsor of this forum. He has great prices along with great service.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

it might just be the plug ,i have to change mine every three months ,for the same reason . hard starting cold also ngk plugs last longer than champion
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What model are you working on and how old is the unit. Carb kits are usually not needed until you get high usage. Maybe some dirt got into the carb, take it apart and check that first.
  5. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

The unit is at least 15 years old and is used for a half hour or so per week. The plug looks fine but I'll change it and take the carb apart as u suggested.
    The model is SRM-1501.