1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo Trimmer Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tc2, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tc2

tc2 LawnSite Member

I have a GT-1100 Echo trimmer that I'm guessing is around 10 years old. It was used by a homeowner until last summer when I began to use it to mow about 8 yards a week. Within the last week though, it has developed a problem. When I start it up, I immediately have to let go of the throttle or it will cut off. Then even after idling for about 10-15 seconds, it still cuts off. The second time I start it up, I again have to release the throttle, let it idle, and then very slowly increase the throttle until it gets to its maximum RPM. I just cleaned the air filter last week, so it shouldn't be anything wrong with the filter, but I am somewhat new to repairing my equipment (I usually take it to the dealer and have him fix it) so any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Im not quite sure how your model compares to mine but Im assuming they are built on the same format.

1) has the spark plug been cleaned/replaced?
    2) Is the spark arrestor screen stopped up, these will cause all kinds of runability problems?
    3) Have you tried adjusting the 2 screws on the carb, one is for smooth acceleration and the other is for full throttel/under load. (I had to adjust both of these on mine today, was doing same thing yours was)
    4)Another thing I discovered about Echo is they do NOT like el-cheapo wal-mart 2 cycle oil. Also mine requires 93 octane fuel and I run echo oil only.
    5) last of all, at 10 years old may need a carb rebuild.

Im no tech but after years of owning Echo these are things I learned about them.
  3. tc2

tc2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help! I went to the echo dealer today and got a carb rebuild kit. The service man was able to give me diagrams and a quick explanation of how to rebuild the carb. So, I've rebuilt the carb now. I also cleaned the spark plug and the spark arrestor screen. After that, I was able to readjust the 2 screws on the carb. Its working great now. Thanks for the help!