1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo trimmer problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a echo trimmer and the last couple weeks it would have to run a while before I could get any power, now it just runs like(well you know what), no power at all, any suggestions?
    Thanx AL
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Have you checked for the common clogged exhaust port?
  3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time it is a plugged fuel filter, which is in the fuel tank. It can be pulled out with a wire(coat hanger) that you bend a hook in. Also a good time to change spark plug if you have not done that in awhile. If it runs good for awhile and then slowly loses power, then it might be a plugged vent cap on the fuel tank.
    Next would thing would to check the exhast port and muffler for carbon build up. If this is the case you can clean the exhaust port with a small screwdriver, make sure the piston skirt is covering the exhaust port so the carbon doesn't enter the engine. If the muffler is plugged this can be cleaned by heating the muffler in a vise cherry red with a acetelyne torch(be careful, past cherry red and the muffler melts). While cherry red, remove torch and blow compressed air through it. This will cause the carbon to ignite and burn out. Again be careful, not only can the muffler melt, but it will shoot out lots of sparks and possible flame. If it is real bad with carbon it will almost sound like a jet engine. Big note: if it has a spark arrestor screen, remove it first. If the screen is plugged replace it.
    Next option is to kit the carb(gaskets and other parts wear out that can cause poor performance).
    After that your almost down to piston and rings, unless on a rare occassion it is electrical. If starts and runs, even poorly, it is probably not electrical.
    Hope this helps.
  4. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I used to run Echo string trimmers, but it seemed that mine would always have a dead spot just off idle. The dealer never seemed to be able to figure out what the cause was. They would try fuel filters, exhaust ports, spark arresters, etc, but the fix never seemed to last. Don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but maybe try the things I mentioned.
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

"now it just runs like(well you know what), no power at all,"

I had the exact same problem last year. Remove the spark arrestor screen and you probably will see a huge difference. Take the muffler off and dig around ...you will find a little black square COATED with gunk...that is your screen! Chuck it...you don't need it.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

No doubt about the exhaust screen. Also, you need
    to adjust the Low and High screws. Get it running,
    then turn the high screw slightly to the left or
    right until it runs smoothly.These carbs do not
    last forever, and it may be time to buy the rebuild
    kit. Good luck.
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

It was the spark arrestor screen,some buildup in exhaust port, and the fuel filter in tank was bad. I think it is running better than when new!First I checked the screen,bad buildup, so while I was at the dealer I bought a fuel filter also and it needed that too.

That is why I think this site is soooo gooooooooood, all this experience and everyone willing to share their time helping fellow lco`s