Echo Trimmer Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HDLLandscaping, Mar 27, 2013.

1. HDLLandscaping

HDLLandscaping LawnSite Member

I just tried to start my Echo Trimmer up today and found there is no gas getting to the primer bulb. I pressed the bulb about 100 times with the gas cap on and off. Whats the next best thing to do, pull the lines and try to clean them out?

(Note: I pulled the spark plug and got a good spark. Put some gas right into the spark plug and it ran and sounded good until that fuel ran out)

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

But a Stihl. Seriously take it to the dealer.
  3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

First I'd see about replacing the primer bulb because it's an often neglected part and I can't recall how you get to the fuel lines on an Echo so you're likely going to have to pull the carburetor ... Once past the primer bulb I would go ahead and purchase new fuel lines, a new fuel filter, and a new carburetor-to-intake gasket if it has one.

Replace all that, unless it's less than two years old I wouldn't even try to "clean" them out, just replace them.
  4. HDLLandscaping

The bulb works fine, no cracks. No build up in the carb. When you push the bulb you can hear air going back to the has tank and then when I pulled the filter off gas came out. I think there may be something in the fuel line going to the bulb. Ill check that today and then replace until it works
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Benfield

Benfield LawnSite Member

Carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. Diaphragm could be getting stiff which would cause the no gas issue.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I see that now and then and you know what I don't think it makes any difference. I never ever heard anybody say they needed a primer to get an Echo started. I think the problme is in the plastic part that the bulb sit on and probably could be cleaned with sonic cleaner. Howere they could be some kind of checking device in the plastic piece that is gone. If it is starting just forget it .
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

check the condition of the fuel tank grommet. if its deterioated it could cause a air leak and cause the tank not to hold pressure. also the check valve in the fuel inlet in the carb could be clogged. i have seen the fuel tank grommet go bad on many echos
  8. HDLLandscaping

Grommet is a little cracked. Will be ordering new lines gromet and filter along with air filter and some other stuff once I find te part #s
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the tank pressures up, obvoiously grommet is important to keep from leaking, but intake fuel line should pick up fuel even from an open container--I'm no expert, but this is my opinion.

Ed Hess has a lot of Echo experience, after you've changed intake fuel line and filter, I'd check what he suggested.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i had an echo hand blower that wouldnt prime. everything looked fine. grommet was shot. replaced grommet-carb got prime