1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo Trimmer Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jondcoleman, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Ok, I have a few.

1. Echo SRM260 that bogs down unless it is flipped upside down.

2. Echo SRM210 that starts but then dies right after starting up unless you hold the throttle down. Once you let go, it dies.

3. Echo SRM210 won't even start. It feels like it wants to but just won't get going. (I know this one is very vague but if there are some common problems that would cause this, please let me know.

None of the mowers are more than 2-3 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon Coleman
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

1 Carb rebuild/replace
    2 Carb rebuild/replace
    3 Carb rebuild/replace

Call it a day.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you have put in a new spark plug, cleaned the exhaust ports, new fuel filter, new breather, and air filter? Next does the units have adjustable carb?? If so then give it some gas, ccw the screw. On the 260 they had a few years where they didn't put on an adjusting screw but started back a couple years ago. The screw is hidden by a cap on the back side away from the head. If you have no adjustment then put in new carb kit, making sure you specifically remove and clean the brass jet as well as the screen. Most of this stuff is pretty basic. A new carb runs around $50 but be sure it has adjusting screw on it!
  4. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Yes to new spark plug, fuel filter and air filter. I don't know what the exhaust ports or breather are.
  5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

also check the fuel lines sometimes they get dry rotted.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Breather is small white colored device that let air into the gas tank. It is at the end of one of three gas line coming out of the tank. The ports are behind the muffler. Take off the muffler(i assume the spark arrestor is gone) and you can see the outlet port. Take out the spark plug. Use a wood peg to clean up the ports. Blow out the debris.....this is bad stuff so lyou don't want to leave any in the machine.
  7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Possibly a crank seal on the starter side on the 260. We have seen a few of these with you symptoms.....which may simulate a carb problem, but it's not.

The 210 that dies unless throttle is held........make sure the idle speed screw on the carb didn't back off.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've had to do this to my echos a time or two. makes em run like new.