echo trimmer question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tlvoskamp, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have a quick question for you. I currently have a 261-T trimmer and I love it. My business is growing and I feel like I need to get another trimmer. I am considering adding either another 261-t or a 311. I thought it might be nice to have a little bit bigger engine in case I might need it. What do you guys think.

Thanks,

Tlvoskamp

2. Tlvoskamp

I guess I was wanting feedback from those who have run the 311.

Thanks,

Tlvoskamp

3. vermonta

vermonta LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I have never run the 311 but have the 261-t It's a very good machine IMHO. Unless you really need the bigger one I would stick with what I know and like. If it ain't broke don't fix it thinking. :)

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Stick with the 261T..the 311 is major over kill unless you need a really big, brush cutter

5. Tlvoskamp

Thanks guys, I really do like the 261-t.

6. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i have it and i hate it. its EXTREMELY heavy. if you get it you wont use it unless you have too. and i guarantee you wont use it then.i put 80lb. dumbells in EACH hand and set with my back against a bench, with no swinging or bad form and curl them for 3 sets of 6-8 reps. I deadlift 580 for one rep starting off the floor. i would sell mine for something with alot less hp. dont get whatever you do. trust me pal youll hate it. you can get that much power with alot less weight. i looked and i couldnt even find the actual hp. rating anywhere. when you cut with it it jerks around ALOT causing scalping. the balance is pathetic,feels like your holding every ounce of the weight in your back hand. jump in a big ditch with 4 foot high weeds and in 5 minutes youll feel it. youll go back to the truck grin and say,that bastard was right. (me). yuoll be glad to grab ahold of the 261 or even something with less hp.

7. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i dont know about the 311 but i have a 261 and i love mine also. for my brushcutter i use the Stihl FS250. i used it when i have to do some MAJOR brush cutting but sometimes i grab the Echo and it does fine. the FS250 isnt that heavy and you can get used to it but go back to the echo and you're spoiled.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I also have the ECHO 261-T trimmer and I ahave to agree with what the others here have said ... stick with the 261-T, it's a good trimmer !!

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

even if you are really really wanting a bigger trimmer for brush cutting, i would check out the shindiawa 261 or 271. these are both great power in a fairly light package. if not stick with your regular trimmer. i have never used the bigger echo's, but would guess yours to be about the same as a t261 shindy so probably comparable. the 260ish is a really good trade off for me. still light enough for your go to trimmer, and good power if you want to get in the big stuff.