echo trimmer running problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by robertr, Jan 22, 2008.

1. robertr

robertr LawnSite Member

Hi all, I have an echo PAS 260 that will not accelerate, starts and idles fine. I checked the exhaust port, it's clear. took the spark arrestor out long ago. It has a new carb, recently tuned-up. It happened suddenly, was running fine then this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess fuel filter is new and air filter? I don't understand the need for a new carb on this model since I think all of them had adjustment on the carb. And the insides can be rebuilt. The next thing I would do is take the knock out plug out and tweak the carb adjustment a little bit. Could have got a little debris in carb but would seem unlikely. Forgot guess a new breather was put in on tune up?

3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question, did you check the exit port on the muffler. It is thin enough that it can get clogged with carbon. (I've had it happen before)

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would check the throttle cable connections, first at the carb, make sure when you squeeze the trigger that it actuates the valve.

5. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Related to this: is nothing happening when you hit the throttle, or does the engine sound like its trying to go but can't.

If nothing is happening, it could be what Topsites mentioned

6. robertr

robertr LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. The engine does try to go but can't. I pulled the case and checked the clutch housing, it turns freely. can the ign. coil cause this? maybe if it's arcing against the case.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure coil would do it.....how old is this unit? Stills seems to me like it is a fuel problem since you are sure there is no carbon in the ports and the muffler is not clogged? Sparkplug is tight?

8. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a Walbro WYJ carb? If it is try taking one off another machine and see if it works, I run in to this all the time, I have a drawer full of these for winter time(now) and I break them into 3 pieces and switch out till I find out if it's the top,middle or bottom of the carb that's bad. Is your primer bulb full and working?

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why not replace the in-tank fuel filter?
    Has to be done sooner or later anyhow.

And you might have been hoping I wouldn't say that, but it's really not that bad.

10. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I had this happen to me this last season. I thought I had cleaned everything but still it wouldnt go. I took out the spark plug and the carb. Looked at the piston and noticed some grim in the area. I sprayed carb cleaner into it and pull the cord to start it. Had a lot of stuff come out of it, did this a few times and recleaned the spark plug. The weed eater now runs like new.

I have also had the throttle cable come out of the spot where it connects to the carb. Would start up but since its not connected to the carb nothing happened when i pulled on the throttle.