1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo trimmer shocked me!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kedkins22, Jun 4, 2008.

1. kedkins22

kedkins22 LawnSite Member

I was trimming today and the spark plug boot bumped my elbow and shocked me REALLY good. Then it happened again. Do I need to replace the boot or is there another problem?
  2. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

My old Echo would shock me from time to time. It fell of my trimmer rack(going abot 50 mph) last year after I forgot to lock it in, so I guess I don't have to worry about it. I am interested in hearing what caused it! I remember that it gave a pretty descent jolt!!!!!!!
  3. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check the wiring from the stop switch. It is a spade push-on connector along side the throttle cable at the carb. If the vinyl boot is gone and it is not tucked in under the clip it will get you.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My old echo did that also and this is what the problem was.
  5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

All three of my redmax's trimmers/edger do that to me. I was getting the crap shocked out of me this afternoon. The boot over the spark plug was not completely down, but only by a little bit. Every time my elbow would make contact with the boot, my hand on the shaft would get a nice jolt. I adjusted the boot. I dont know if I was just more careful or adjusting the boot fixed it but I didnt get shocked again.

Wost thing is running them in the rain. I have had a few times where the boot made contact with my abdomen and it felt like some on gave me a good punch in the gut. First time it ever happened surprised the hell out of me.

I still swear by my redmax's though. Great equipment.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh LOL here's what you do is do NOT put your elbow there!
    hahaha I know this pain real good, shock the crap out of ya!

By the way if you go to the other side the muffler gets ya :p
    Oh that pain is just as good, one side shocks ya, the other burns like hell.

I will say thou, the Echo is the first trimmer that taught me not to rest my elbow on that compartment.