Echo trimmer---what have i forgot.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by themow, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Probably the aluminum tab on the diaphram that operates that needle. They wear with time and don't let enough gas in. I guess you are sure that the crankshaft seal are all in place(no obvious leaks). I am not familiar with your model but almost ALL echo units have two adjustment screws that are hidden on them. And even if they don't the jet can be adjusted go to a shop.

2. themow

themow LawnSite Member

ok so im at a stand still because ill throw the thing away before dumping any money into it....put that money towards a new high end unit but if i come across a carb cheap ill let all know

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe try a carb repair kit...it is easy to put in.

4. themow

themow LawnSite Member

yea i was thinking maybe a repair kit and a rebuild kit... what about a problem in the driveline??? ive never really had any issues with them but have heard about them causing problems.

5. echoman8

echoman8 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had problems with the "so called" primer bulb on echos and other small 2 cycle engines.

The bulb does not prime the carb, it just loads it with fuel if it is empty. To do this, it has 2 rubber valves (duckbill valves). With age they quit working.

I remove the bulb, cut a piece of plastic (freezer bag), place between the bulb and carburetor housing, then put the bulb (and metal plate) on.

This disables the primer(actually purge pump) and you will have to depend on the choke to start (cold start only) just like it was in 1990 and before.

The duckbill valves allow air to enter the carb irratically (when bad).

de

6. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Bad compression, not the carb

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Exactly my thought. Particularly if it's blue smoke on full throttle.

If I'm not mistaken some echo's have a single ring piston, so wear out quickly

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't believe so....single ring just came out. Never had an Echo that lost compression unless the crank seals were worn and popped out. Guess it can happen though if correct lube not used.

9. Nuconcepts

Nuconcepts LawnSite Member

crank seals almost never pop out and if they do its most likely for a reason such as bearings getting worn , you will not lose compression with blown crank seals as compression is created in the top end of the motor not the bottom. the seals just create a vacuum in the combustion process. If your crankseals are blown you will suck air and eventually blow your motor. diaphragms get weak in the carb you need a rebuild kit or a carb

10. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

We use synthetic oil and just rebuilt 7 units. They run like new now.