echo trimmer will not start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by romer2, Nov 22, 2004.

1. romer2

romer2 LawnSite Member

I have a 4 year old echo trimmer model srm-210. It has ~500 hours on it. Gradually it has become harder to keep running when I switch from cold start to run over the past season, but would finally run after several tries. Then it would not run at all except in cold start mode. Did everything the manual suggested- no luck. Rebuilt the carb. and now it will not start at all! Acts like it is not getting any gas. Anybody have any ideas before I take it to the repair shop and spend $65.00? Very nice Web site, by the way. :dizzy:

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoot some starter fluid in the carb. If it fires your carb if not put together right. Its cheaper to just buy a new carb then taking it to the shop for 65.0

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

anther things to look at are the carbon buildup on the plug and muffler

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I advise you to buy another brand had the same problem with all my echo's I converted everything too redmax.

4-5 years it's time.

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

With 500 hours on it you are starting to throw good money after bad. Before you know it, you will have spent enough money to have purchased a new one.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Probably should go ahead and get a new trimmer. We used to only get about 4-500 hrs out of ours and they'd do the same thing. We just ordered new ones when the hours were starting to get really up there.

7. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

I agree, you won with the Echo trimmer, 4 years of service, might as well have been 10. I suggest a Redmax or a Stihl, they go like hell. I did have some muffler-clogging problems with my Stihl using 50:1 Stihl oil.

I tried like heck to get the muffler cleaned out, took it in and the dealer did it for me with a little tune up for $20. Now it runs like a demon again. I think I might go back to Opti 2 mixed at 50:1 for the 2005 season.

BTW... My first blower was a $99 Craftsman blower from Sears. It lasted 3 seasons of blowing along with using it in leaf-sucking mode a LOT!!! I ended up spending $33 a year for blower/vac usage... I won!

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah, probably getting towards the end of it's life span.

But, I have an echo that had a running problem. The fuel line was cracked and split. I replaced it, and it runs fine now.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Try replacing the little fuel filter on the end of the fuel line that is in the fuel tank. It may be colgged with dirt and debris.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't agree with wearout at 500 hrs on a 210 that unit was solid. I have several on tillers, hedge trimmers, split boom, and one trimmer. Start by cleaning out muffler and the exhaust ports. Take the carb off and be sure the ports into engine are clean...use cleaning fluid. Put a carb kit and be sure to clean the screen filter. Remove the trimmer head and check to be sure the clearance between flywheel and coil is about a tab card thick. If this unit has had echo oil run in it there is no reason for it not to easily repaired at little cost. I have other brands of trimmers and they all got their share of problems. However when you get in to 30xx sizes things get a lot better....but the units weigh a ton and are hardly useable. That is why this size echo is so widely used on various equipment. Stay with what you got!