Echo Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martinfan06, Sep 4, 2006.

1. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Bought used equipment from a guy, great deal though 44" toro w/b 32" w/b,2 trimmers,2 edgers,2 hedge trimmers,echo blower, back pack sprayer ALL 2000$. My problem so far is the echo trimmer could use a new head BUT somebody stripped the plastic nut that holds the head on cant get old head off. Any suggestions or tricks to getting that head off, thanks for the help!

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Thats not were you take it off. When you buy an echo new they come with a small punch, it fits into a hole that aligns with a slot in the guard when turned right and holds the shaft from turning. Slip the punch into the slot, hold on tight to the head and spin clockwise (threaded backwards so they don't loosen up while turning) and it should come off.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

ive never seen a plastic nut used to hold the trimmer head on, make sure that is what it is if so just cut it apart just dont use something that will damage the threads on the stud

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I just put a new head on mine but everything was metal and came off easily. There is a hole in the trimmer where you insert a punch or nail and the whole thing unserews clock wise. Look on echos website and read the operators manual. If that doesn't help take it to a dealer and have him fix it but you will have to pay.

5. martinfan06

Thanks grassmanvt, What dose that plastic nut do? My thinking is someboby didnt know it was left hand thread and just stipped it out. I know the hole your speaking of, so you just turn the whole thing and it un screws from the top.

6. martinfan06

Thanks guys for the quick helpful info many thanks MARTINFAN06

7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Its that easy.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

The plastic nut just keeps the bump mechanism together. As you push in, you"ll notice it will turn. The head should turn out after you get the punch locked in to the hole. Usually takes a good ammount of force to turn, a little swearing sometimes helps. I should say I am speaking in referance to the straight shaft style, the curved might be differant, at least the direction usually is, have'nt had one in a while, don't remember. Anyhow, give it a shot, should work.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. That should work for you.