echo trimmer ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blowerboy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

on the echo srm 210 line trimmer i cant figure out how to get the safty/ debris cover off

brand new for 150 clearence sale!!at dealer
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Been awhile since I bought an Echo but I think I had to take off the gearbox to get the deflector off.
  3. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

Take the tool that they give you with the trimmer, it looks like a screw diver with no head and stick it in the hole that is located between the head and gear drive. turn the head to unscrew it. then there are 3 screws that hold the guard on , remove it and screw head on with with tool still in hole. thats it enjoy and dont run the trimmer line too long because the little 210 will burn up in a heart beat.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

You sure you want to take it off!!!?? I won't for you safety and for the longivity of the trimmer!!!:waving:

To BentleyOutdoors : You think the 21.2cc Vortex is as durable as the bigger Tornado engines from your experience?
  5. blowerboy

what do u mean burn up can you explain more, i realy am a redmax guy i just get the echo handle(best 1 out there)!!

so ur saying the motor will overheat or somehting im a little confused
  6. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

When you take the guard off a trimmer and run the line longer than what its needs to be, the motor works harders to turn the line to spin it. With a smaller motor it works really hard to turn the head. Yes the gear box and motor will become extremly hot and that isnt a good thing. It is the same as lifting a toyota pickup and putting 40" tires under it and expecting the 4 banger engine to last with all that stress and wieght of turning the large tires. :usflag:
  7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The rear end or tranny would go on that Yota before the engine would.... that's what happens on most vehicles.
  8. blowerboy

so i think im just going to keep it on ... small engine w/e ill take ur word for it and ya know y ruin the nice NEW

??though what would you do, Bentlyoudoors
  9. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend using the Echo 261-t trimmer if your going to take the guard off, I used to burn the echo srm-210 units up left and right,The 261-t is a beast, I have 3 of them.:)
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Keep the guard on the 210. I keep the guards on my stihl 85s and they still bog down in thick grass and brush.