Echo Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rungreen, Feb 27, 2010.

1. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

OK Benefits of a solid shaft trimmer:better acceleration, more torque, less power loss between engine and head
    Benefits of cable: lighter, more durable a the cable can give a little, holds grease better, cheaper, less vibration
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that sounds pretty common sense dtc0207.
  3. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

I was just answering Merkava qustion from page one he asked why would one prefer cable
  4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've read several different brand's brochures and they all
    say that a solid shaft gives you less vibration than a cable. :confused:
  5. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

If you think about a solid piece of metal will hold vibration were braid cable and absorb everything I have seen say flex is less vibration
  6. RCSindiana

RCSindiana LawnSite Member

Cant beat the echo trimmers. You couldnt give me a stihl :) For light trimming I use a 210 because of the weight difference. I hate lugging around the extra weight for light stuff. If I need to really tear into something I use the 230. The echos just seem to stay running better for me. Anytime I buy something stihl I end up back at the dealer telling them to fix it.
  7. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a SRM-230 about a month ago seems like a pretty good trimmer.....I can't wait until the spring to really test it out.
  8. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

I have an SRM230 (Grey Model) and a Stihl FS90R. I tend to use the Echo more for general trimming because it is lighter and use the Stihl for the attachments and sometimes to trim. They are both very good and both of them cleared an overgrown back yard (18"-20" high grass) with ease. Power seems similar between both with the Stihl having the edge. The 4 mix engine should be run with an extra high grade oil (synthetic) in order to reduce valve carbon issues.
  9. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the old 261T or 2601T which is the new 265T. Just dont like the new handle on the Echos, the hump on the end hurts my palm after a long run where the old straight handle doesnt. My 2601T's have had the dog chit run out of them and they still are in good shape. But I bought some FS100RX Stihls because of weight about 2lb less. Will see if they hold up like the Echo.
  10. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I may be wrong but doesn't the "T" have a different geared head making it High Torque? Otherwise the solid shaft would be superior for power transfer and wear.