Lawn Care Forum banner

Echo Trimmers

10K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Pat'sPerfectLawnService 
#1 ·
Looking at new echo trimmers what model does everyone like.

#27 ·
I have two a 260, a 261T and a 265T which I bought last summer. I like both the older trimmers, except for the "cold naturedness" they both exhibited. I had the carb replaced on both and that took care of that problem.

I bought the 265 while one of the others was in the shop, as I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. The 265 runs great, starts easier than the older models, and has plenty of power, but I do not like the new handle configuration. I replaced the stock loop handle with a new flex type which was used on the older units, but the shaft handle you are pretty well stuck with. For some reason, it is made substantially thicker than the older models, and, in my opinion, is much less comfortable to use for long periods. It is probably one of those things where if it was the only one you had ever used, you would think it is great, but after using the older style for close to 10 years, it sucks.

Some improvements really are, some aren't, and I don't thnk the newer looking handles are. I really think the change was made to "modernize" the look. They are almost identical to the Stihl, just from looking at the two.

#30 ·
The SRM-265, 265T and 265S are all very good machines. They are pretty much the standard as far as power goes (25.4cc). For the extra 30 bucks the 265T is well worth it over the 265. You can run them both side by side and feel the extra torque coming out of it. The 265S will be lighter than the 265T, but is not suited for brushcutter blades if you choose to use one.

#31 ·
None of my employees like the echos except me. The all prefer our red maxs. Of course if we get into tall weeds I will drop the echo like a hot potato and use the redmax.

I like the light weight and low power of the echo for our normally maintained properties. Never had a problem with any of ours. Great cheappy trimmers.

#32 ·
we run the 280T, imagine the more beat you get over it thant eh 265! they are screaming power, better than the bigger previous models they replaced, the 311. which has a bigger engine!!

#33 ·
You are incorrect as all ECHO trimmers come with a LIFETIME WARRENTY on the drive shaft it does not matter if it is solid or flex
Actually this is wrong. If you read the fine print, echo only warranties there equipment for 1 year if you are a company. If you are a home owner this works out great but if you're in business the warranty sucks,

#34 ·
Actually this is wrong. If you read the fine print, echo only warranties there equipment for 1 year if you are a company. If you are a home owner this works out great but if you’re in business the warranty sucks,
You're partly right but mostly wrong. For purchases after Jan. 1, 2010 all ECHO equipment excluding chainsaws, QuikVent and cutoff saws carry a 2 year COMMERCIAL warranty (5 year homeowner). However, the following parts carry a lifetime warranty regardless of commercial or homeowner use (and always have had a lifetime warranty): Ignition modules, flex cables, solid cables, and TC cultivator tines. Again, the 4 previously mentioned parts carry a lifetime warranty regardless of whether the unit is being used commercially or residentially.

#35 ·
I will not buy any more Echo trimmers. The SRM-210 I bought a while back has a non-adjustable carb. At least there are no adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted. The thing takes a few pulls to get it started and it cools down so quickly between lawns that you have to have to go through the cold start procedure all over again. Pain the butt. The engine barely revs high enough to run smoothly and I need to take it to the dealer right now. If you don't mind pulling the string a half a dozen times or more and then wait on it to warm up so it'll run decent then it's a great trimmer.

#36 ·
I will not buy any more Echo trimmers. The SRM-210 I bought a while back has a non-adjustable carb. At least there are no adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted. The thing takes a few pulls to get it started and it cools down so quickly between lawns that you have to have to go through the cold start procedure all over again. Pain the butt. The engine barely revs high enough to run smoothly and I need to take it to the dealer right now. If you don't mind pulling the string a half a dozen times or more and then wait on it to warm up so it'll run decent then it's a great trimmer.
This is going to sound ******** but I promise it works. Empty all the gas out of your trimmer. Fill it with straight WD-40. it will be a pain to start (maybe 10 pulls) but then run the full tank of WD-40 threw it. It will smell like you just lit a BBQ grill but it will clean it completely out. After that tank put your normal fuel back into it and it will run 100 percent better…..promise….

#38 ·
I always thought solid shafts were made for attachments while with the flex attachments are not recomended. Anyway we are going to go with Echo trimmers as soon as our RedMax's and Stihls wear out.

Our favorite is the FS100RX. It is light and cuts great. It is always the first picked up.

#39 · (Edited)
I think it does have an adjustable carb , but can only be adjusted with a special tool.

#40 ·
I quit using Echo trimmers a while back. I love my RedMax for the weight and length of it. I like Echos but I will tell you this. You will get one great season out of it and then it starts to bog down. Make sure you keep the carb and filters extra clean on them because they will wear down on you.

#42 ·
we have found the 280 to ber very clean burning after checking the ports this winter after a full season, none had carbon buildup compared to the 311 which had some and just a little is enough to slow the engine down so you dont get the raw power it can produce. just an observation i have had.

we use opti 2 cycle oil and it has made the difference, b4 on the 311 with other oils we would clean the ports about 4 times a year. now once, maybe twice on an older trimmer. we change plugs and air filters once every month, air filters as often as needed though and sometimes that is twice per month depending.

#43 ·
It seems like the dealers prefer to stock the SRM-265T
rather than the SRM-265S -- I wonder why that is. :confused:
the 265t isnt the stock model, neither is the 265s, the 265 is the stock. The 265t has more torque than the stock one and the 265s has a solid steel drive shaft. Just to let you know :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.