Lawn Care Forum banner

Echo Trimmers

10K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Pat'sPerfectLawnService 
#1 ·
Looking at new echo trimmers what model does everyone like.

#3 ·
Echo SRM-265T. Great trimmer and great power.

#7 ·
Never run stihl, I've always had echo and had good luck. Nice and light with very good power. I'm probably gonna pick up a 265T or S this year.

#8 ·
I'm probably gonna pick up a 265T or S this year.
As I understand it, unless somebody tells me otherwise, the model SRM-265T
has the cable drive with a high torque (gear reduction) gearbox. The model
SRM-265S has the solid shaft drive with a low torque gearbox. So if my
assumptions are correct, the SRM-265T gives you more torque but won't last
as long, and the SRM-265S will last longer but won't give you as much torque.

#9 ·
As I understand it, unless somebody tells me otherwise, the model SRM-265T
has the cable drive with a high torque (gear reduction) gearbox. The model
SRM-265S has the solid shaft drive with a low torque gearbox. So if my
assumptions are correct, the SRM-265T gives you more torque but won't last
as long, and the SRM-265S will last longer but won't give you as much torque.
You are incorrect as all ECHO trimmers come with a LIFETIME WARRENTY on the drive shaft it does not matter if it is solid or flex

#16 ·
Cant beat the echo trimmers. You couldnt give me a stihl :) For light trimming I use a 210 because of the weight difference. I hate lugging around the extra weight for light stuff. If I need to really tear into something I use the 230. The echos just seem to stay running better for me. Anytime I buy something stihl I end up back at the dealer telling them to fix it.

#17 ·
I bought a SRM-230 about a month ago seems like a pretty good trimmer.....I can't wait until the spring to really test it out.

#18 ·
I have an SRM230 (Grey Model) and a Stihl FS90R. I tend to use the Echo more for general trimming because it is lighter and use the Stihl for the attachments and sometimes to trim. They are both very good and both of them cleared an overgrown back yard (18"-20" high grass) with ease. Power seems similar between both with the Stihl having the edge. The 4 mix engine should be run with an extra high grade oil (synthetic) in order to reduce valve carbon issues.

#19 ·
I like the old 261T or 2601T which is the new 265T. Just dont like the new handle on the Echos, the hump on the end hurts my palm after a long run where the old straight handle doesnt. My 2601T's have had the dog chit run out of them and they still are in good shape. But I bought some FS100RX Stihls because of weight about 2lb less. Will see if they hold up like the Echo.

#21 ·
You are incorrect as all ECHO trimmers come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the drive shaft it does not matter if it is solid or flex
Sorry about the last post but I didn't read far enough. The shaft warranty is lifetime and the shaft itself is not real costly but to get the warranty honored you have to pay the dealer's labor to do the work. Now that's expensive!

On the solid shaft - potentially better power transfer and potentially less movement and vibration but slightly more weight. Maybe less wear for the same reasons.
Will any of these payoffs be seen in actual real use in all cases? Most likely not. Also, I imagine the solid shaft is more expensive to produce.

#22 ·
OK Benefits of a solid shaft trimmer:better acceleration, more torque, less power loss between engine and head
Benefits of cable: lighter, more durable a the cable can give a little, holds grease better, cheaper, less vibration
Actually they tout the steel shaft as being lighter, and the specs support that. Go figure.

Also, I seriously doubt one is going to wear out the shaft on these things before the other components have become useless. These are $200-$300 machines, splurge and buy a new one every few years guys. The engine repairs and replacements are where the money is anyway. In a business that grosses $40,000 or more per trimmer in the fleet, it's hardly worth thinking about to spend maybe $100/year on trimmers in order to have reliable ones that don't eat up your time with repairs and maintenance.

#24 ·
Have 2 Echo SRM 210 machines, also an Echo 210 with the sabre saw tip for limb cutting.
Installed a 9" carbide blade on one of them for clearing brush such as honeysuckle, buckthorn etc. beat that trimmer into the ground for years and she just keeps on going.
Bang for the buck! just cant be beat. gtread

#26 ·
Funny the cheapest Echo SRM210 turn out to be one of the most durable and reliable trimmer. My HC151 I got 5 years ago turn out to be the most reliable one. You can say all the reason why they are cheap, inferior features and all, at the end of the day, they last and get the job done.

I don't use the HC151 anymore for hedging only because it is too short for my back. And at that, I use it as dispossable to cut branches to compect the stuff for recycle. And it has been holding up, you are talking about cutting branches up to 5/8" and piles of it!!! They sure did something right with that 21cc engine!!! On paper, single ring, two bolt cylinder, those are Craftsman's signature!! But........................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.