Echo Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, Jul 28, 2004.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

Any body use echo trimmers, what model, and what are any pros and cons? I am looking at buying a new weed eater and its down to sthl and echo? Any thoughts?

2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

sthil FS85 goes hard, will outlast . my 2 cents worth.:D

3. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Typo=stihl will outlast echo:D

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have run Echo trimmers for several years now, and have found that the newer models, ie. srm260's like to have the muffler fall off with the bolts sheared off inside the exhaust port. This is on multiple trimmers, multiple times. They seem to carbon up easier the their older counter parts, and seem to have more trouble with carborater issues. I do not plan on buying any more Echo trimmers unless something really big changes. I hear rave reviews on the Stihl FS110, and if I were going to buy a sthil, I would roll the dice on that unit.

Jay

5. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

No more Echo for me either...........Stihl only.

6. Dupontcar

Dupontcar LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Echo Pas-260 a couple months back. I have had no problems, starts easy, runs great as you would expect any new trimmer to. It has plenty of power. Cannot speak for long term use like some others may as this is my first Echo, but so far so good. I have a close dealer whi is excellent in service, and thats why I ultimately choose the Echo.

David

7. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Shady is right on with his comments. Fast carbon build up, I had the on/off switches fall off two within the first month. They die really quick after a few months they have no piower.

Bought an FS85 Stihl last year and the thing is 100X more powerful.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 Echo 2400's and they have many, many hours on them and I use them nearly everyday as my main trimmers with a Redmax 2500 and a Stihl FS66 as backups and I'll take the Echo's over the Stihl every single time.

9. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I had an echo and have had some problems with the head and throttle. I still have it and use my shindaiwa and I have never made such a good of choice. The shindaiwa is much more easier and I feel has a better trim. But echo is still good.

10. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

My first commercial trimmer was an Echo SRM 2100 with the split shaft. I still have it, and it runs perfectly. I've had to kit the carb once, change plugs, and I replaced the head with a rapid loader, but other than that I've had no problems with it. I've got a Stihl FS110 now, but I still use the Echo for a spare. I wouldnt hesitate to use either one for my main trimmer. I have an Echo blower also, and it has run perfectly for 4 years now, also with just a carb kit and plug change. I think the reason a lot of guys have so many problems with the Echos is just a sorry lack of maintainance, and not the quality of the trimmer. If you dont maintain it, it WILL fail, whether it is an Echo, Stihl, Red Max, Husky, or a Wal Mart special. If you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you.