Echo U-Turn trimmer head = JUNK

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jun 26, 2008.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought the Echo U Turn head today. I hate it. If I use a narrow diameter line, it won't "grab" inside the head to wind it, and if I use .095 it is hard to turn the spool to load it.

I would think the Shindaiwa Speedfeed head is just as worthless.

I've come to the conclusion these heads are made for people that can't spool their line. I can spool an older Echo head in a minute or two, tops. And if there is a problem inside the head or with the line, it's easy to fix on the job with the older style head.

If anyone wants to buy this UTurn head, send me a pm! I paid 35 bucks for it.

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You may want to give the Shindaiwa speed feed a shot...I run the speed feeds and love them...my buddy bought the Echo U-turn and he thought they sucked! I dont think Ive heard of anyone who tried the speed feed head and didnt like it.

3. naturescape

Maybe I will (try the Shin head)! But I just spent 35 bucks for this piece of junk! :eek:

4. naturescape

Is it hard to turn the spool on the Speedfeed to load the line? You have to be Hercules to do that with the U-Turn. Ok, I'm exaggerating a tad bit! But still.....

5. Shaded Green

Shaded Green LawnSite Member

I don't think there is an Echo representative on this site. I wish there was.

ECHO SUCKS

We still use our 5 year old echo trimmers, and wouldn't trade them for new Echo trimmers even if someone put a gun to our head. I don't know what happened at Echo, but we will never, EVER, buy Echo unless it's an older model
    (at least 4 years old).

As for the U-Turn POS they've come up with. BOOOO

Everything about this thing makes no sense at all once you actually try to use it. It's actually more time consuming to load, it doesn't always wind both ends evenly,and if the string jams, you are stuck with two small lengths to deal with because you've cut the string after threading the U-Turn.

Anyone with me on this whole Echo thing? What happened?

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Speed feed is the best head i have used! I dont run guards and whats nice about the speed feed is if your line gets too long you just have to wind it in a little. Very little line waste. Last year i only had to fill the spool twice the entire season!

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all Echo doesn't suck. We have also had no issues with the U-turn head. .095 and .105 all loads fine. Getting used to the turn takes a bit of time, not to mention the head needs to wear in a bit and then its a peice of cake. Much easier then the older styles. when you turn the head, push in a bit. Its much easier. We have been using them for a couple months now, reloaded 4-5 times a day.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Let the head break in (about 1-2 hours of usage). Should loosen up fine. I like my U-Turn head with .095 line.

9. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl's head with the 0.80 ... only way to go.... VERY fast loading of line!!!:usflag:

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Ummmm, that applies to every head I've ever used.

Wow. What have you got, 2 customers? That's astonishing!