Echo U Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnboy48195, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Lawnboy48195

Lawnboy48195 LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried this yet?

http://www.echo-usa.com/productlanding.asp?page=UTURN

It looks pretty interesting and much quicker than screwing around taking the trimmer head off anytime you have to reload. I think it's funny in the video how the guy fumbles around with a regular trimmer head, brings back some bad memories however I've been known to throw mine when I get mad!

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have one. I liked it at first. But the standard Echo bump head is better and loads faster....for me. The demo Uturn that me dealer has is smooth and loads easily....not so with mine. But, luckily, my dealer gave me a U-turn to try out, so I didn't have to pay for it.

3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! I have one on right now and like it. I wouldnt really call it a time-saver, but will probably leave it on.
    For me, it took a little getting use to!

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I have seen a couple of these speed heads. From what I can see I dont think they will save me anymore but maybe a minute at most. I have done it enough times I can almost do it blindfolded. Personally I would rather have the old fashioned spool head, one less thing to break on you and cheaper to replace.

5. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

Yes, and the U-Turn works good. It is much easier to load than a standard trimmer head. It is easy to teach the help.

I can tell you why Grits had trouble with his. The demo U-Turn his dealer had had been used a few times. It actually works best after the third or fourth time you use it because it takes a little to break it in. They get smoother as they get broken in. Also, it turns easiest if you push the spool down slightly while you turn it.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Local dealer pulled them due to problems with cord breaking at the eyelets. Obviously that could be brand/age/condition of the cord but they were just getting too many complaints.

7. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

The Shindaiwa speed feed is the best head I have ever used, this seems almost as good, but I bet you will wear down the bump fairly fast.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have only used Shindaiwa's speed feed. It has been great. A couple of buddies of mine tried the Echo Uturn and didnt really care much for it.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

This would make sense....if it were true. He gave me a U-turn when he first got them in....BEFORE he had the demo head. My U-turn is well broke in and doesn't feed smoothly. You do have to push down the spool to wind it in. I am just WAY faster at the Echo-matics.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It only takes me a few minutes to load the standard trimmer spool. I can live with that.