Echo VS Homelite

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Aug 22, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I know I might get bashed for this but I think that homelite trimmers are much more profittable than echo's. For the past 8 years or so all we have used is homelite trimmers. We would usually have 3 working at all times and they usually would last about 2 years and cost around $70. The only part I ever had to replace was the bump heads which cost around $5.00/ea. This year we bought 2 new echo 260 trimmers and have had nothng but trouble with the heads on these things. We have had to replace 2 so far at $20/ea and the shields are busting apart along with the plastic cowling over the mufflers. They are much heavier as well. They do have much more power but I for routine trimming I don't really see the need. Hopefully these trimmers last a few years and get better with age so I can make some money back from them. Do you know if I can buy new shields and cowlings for the trimmers? I have shindawia bp blowers and love them. Do they make a good trimmer as well?

-Scott

2. surefire

surefire LawnSite Member

try the ultra lite 21 ive had it for a year and no probs also only 3.3 kilos i like em any way but on yhat note my home lite blower never breaks down ??

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Answer: The best. Just sold an echo to pick up an extra Shin.

~Nest

4. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a homelite trimmer, and a backpack blower, both are fine but man....the name just turns you right off huh? ahahah

Thier actually not bad.... Kinda plasticy tho...

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

There is no comparison, IMO. I have both and the Echo is definitely built better. I have not used either commercially for any length of time, but from my limited experiece with the two I'd say the Echo will outlast the Homelite. It will also be a lot nicer to use over the course of its lifetime. It's sort of like the cheap 21" vs. commercial 21" arguement. Yeah you can buy 5 $200 MTDs for the price of 1 Toro, but all the while you will be using a pice of junk that falls apart every 2 years. To each his own...

By the way, are you using a trimmer rack of some sort? The broken plastic seems consistent with bouncing around in the back of a truck during transport.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I agree that echo trimmers should last much longer than homelite. They do cost at least 3X more. I used the homelite kin of like a disposable trimmer. Yes, the trimmers are in the back of the pick up but so were all my other trimmers over the years. It may also be rougher employees. The trimmer head is my bigest concern though. I know that if I have any kind of problems with these trimmers that end up costing me some serious money I will be retiring them.

7. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I had a homelite trimmer for 8 years, never skipped a beat, only one repair, and that was to get new spark plug, and muffler cleaned out, the only reason I don't have it today is because it was run over by a car, it would have probably lasted another 8 years!

8. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

have a homelite trimmer i use from time to time, never had any problems its about 6yrs old. Its fair for the price.

Nest
    What shin trimmer did you get ? I'm looking to get a new one at the end of the year.

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I recently purchased a 230X, the old kind withOUT the new emission crud. Try to find a 260 or 270 for your main trimmer, maybe a 230 for a backup, and for jobs that don't require as much power. I still run my 270, 3 years old, never been serviced, enough power that I haven't used an edger in 3 years. Bought a 261 edger, but didn't like the emission setup, bogged down. Brought it back.

I've had sidewalks where the grass almost touched from both sides, 270 mopped it up with an angle cut first, then edged it. Looked like it had been taken care of all year.

To me, no trimmer compares to Shindaiwa ( the ones without the "1"at least). I've run many.

$299.99 for the 230, $339.00 for the 260 ( probably the best balance of weight and power), and I think $379.00 for the 270. The LACK of repairs, down time, and edger use will more than make up for the costs.

~Nest

10. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I think i'll try the 260 out that would be plenty for me.