echo vs stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Z's Lawncare, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Z's Lawncare

Z's Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from 20683

i am debating wether to get a stihl fs 90r or an echo srm 280. i have a stihl fs110 and love it but it has been giving me problems with the 4 mix. im wondering on your opinions on which is better?

2. Shindaiwa / Echo Dealer

Shindaiwa / Echo Dealer LawnSite Member

For the same or very similar price, you can get a Shindaiwa T282 or T282x. Tons more power and weight is identical to the Echo SRM-280.

3. SMITHSCAPE

SMITHSCAPE LawnSite Member

Hey Z, I have always used the STIHL FC 90 edgers and FS 110 line trimmers. I have had problems with both, and now am switching new equipment purchases to Shindaiwa. After careful deliberation, the LE242 has become my edger of choice. It's rated slightly less powerful, but it's a better overall machine with proven reliability. I'm done with STIHL 4 mix.

4. 485DEERE

485DEERE LawnSite Member
    from INDIANA

you will have zero issues with STIHL 4-MIX if you run stihl ultra oil @50:1 exclusivley in them. they should easiler run 1000hrs if properly maintained. if you are one who does not care for/or do maint. to your gear, then 4-MIX is not for you.

5. SMITHSCAPE

SMITHSCAPE LawnSite Member

I only used STIHL Ultra oil mix and did all maintenance as stated in the owner's manual. I'm simply stating my opinion that STIHL 4 mix is not reliable enough for my use and will not recommend it to anyone. I wouldn't recommend a product if I hadn't used both and formed an opinion.

6. Copacabana

Copacabana LawnSite Member

I would go with Stihl. We use high grade fuel and stihl's synthetic mixing oil and never had ONE SINGLE problem with them.

7. Z's Lawncare

from 20683

i had just got mine serviced and put it away for winter and then when i started it up a week or so ago it wouldnt stay running so i had to adjust it myself really mad myself think about getting an echo.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Even if you drained the gas tank before storing it for the winter, if you left ANY fuel in the carb (even with Sta-Bil in it) the carb may be gummed up. Try running some SeaFoam or Star-Tron through it. I always use Sta-Bil, but after I started using SeaFoam and Star-Tron, I have had less starting issues than ever. I always make sure to drain the tanks of all my handhelds, then run them until they stop to use up all the gas in the carb and lines. Then I pump the purge bulb to force any gas that is still in it, back into the tank so that it doesn't end up in the fuel line anywhere. I do that to both my 4 mix's and 2 strokes.

9. Z's Lawncare

from 20683

i ran it out of gas then kept starting it until it ran completeley out. but thanks for the idea.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

What kind of oil were you using prior to running it dry for storage? The residules left behind (by some brands of oils) on the valves, and in the carb can cause troubles, which is why I said to run some SeaFoam or Star-Tron.