1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo weed wacker = start/stop problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jdt, Mar 27, 2004.

1. jdt

jdt LawnSite Member

I just pulled out my Echo weed wacker from last summer's use, filled it with oil/gas mix and after a pulls, it started up just fine, but ran for about 2 minutes and died.

I couldn't get it restarted, let it rest, then after an hour or so it started on the 2nd pull, ran for another 2 minutes, then died.

The carb looks clean and I noticed no gunk after disassembly.

What should I check next?

2. 1st guess would be fuel vent plugged
  3. jdt

jdt LawnSite Member

Thank you for the quick response!

If this is the problem and I disconnect the fuel vent from the pipe going to the tank, should it start if that is the problem? I did that and just cannot get it to start.
  4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I would agree with Bob.
    To check the vent. Loosen the fuel cap up and let it run awhile. If the problem seems to have gone away. Check the fuel tank vent.

You know people will give all kinds of advice on storing a piece of equipment during the Winter. That is something that I do not do presay. I take all of my equipment out about every two weeks and run it for 10 or 15 minutes. This keeps the engines lubed, carbs from gunking up, fuel lines from becoming brittle and the units running in top form. Then when cutting season gets here. I change the oil and plugs in the 4 stroke engines. My stuff is ready to go from day one and not in a shop or down from being stored and let set idle for four or five months.
  5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

If not tank vent, check the fuel line for small cracks or holes. Meybe fuel filter inside the fuel tank or meybe a plugged carb.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

It sounds like fuel starvation, try a new filter, if no avail I would replace the diaphram in the carb.
  7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Take this for what it's worth. I had similar problems with some Echo trimmers. After doing a spark plug and complete filter change and no difference I took it in to the dealer. The fix: soaked the carb and exhaust muffler. I told him I tossed the exhaust screen but he said buildup occurs and causes problems. Hope this helps. Matt