echo weedeater problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fiddlebick, Apr 4, 2006.

1. fiddlebick

fiddlebick LawnSite Member
    from 42376

I have an echo weedeater that won't run. I took the carb off and cleaned everything, and replaced the primer bulb that was wore out, new plug and burned all the carbon buildup out of the muffler. She fired up then, and it will run wide open as long as I leave the choke half open. When I put the choke lever in the running position it just dies out. I have two of these weedeaters, and this one is my backup...some backup huh? It hasn't run since early last spring, and I want to get it going.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If the unit is more than a couple years old you need to check the crankshaft oil seals to see if they could be leaking. When you said you burned the carbon out did that include scraping the carbon out of the exhaust ports? You changed the fuel filter correct?

3. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

If you did all that, and are still haveing problems, make sure your carb isen't out of adjustment or has varnished built up in it. If it hasen't been run in over a year , put some fresh gas in and let it run for a while and see if it starts to improve.

4. fiddlebick

fiddlebick LawnSite Member
    from 42376

I haven't changed the fuel filter yet. I have that next on my list, but I need to pick one up first...but I don't believe that is the problem. Can you explain a little further about the crankshaft oil seals? What do I need to do to check them? I am suspecting the varnish problem in the carb, although I took it apart, I didn't have any carb cleaner to soak it in. I did have some blockage in the primer bulb port, but managed to get it cleaned out with air pressure. Should I just disassemble the carb again and give it a good soaking followed by pressure air cleaning?

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Echos have a mesh screen in the muffler that clogs causing them to run bad or not at all. You can take the plate off the muffler and remove that screen.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Like metrolawn says, remove the spark arrestor screen. Everyone of my echos stopped up after awhile and will run like you described your problem. Your owners manual will tell/show you how to do it, not very difficult at all.