Echo weedeater shafts breaking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by boozoo, May 16, 2008.

1. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

I have 2 new Echo 2601's which are both way less than one season old, yet one has had the shaft break once and the other twice! I've always used this model Echo, never had this problem before,and my helper and I are using them or maintaining them any differently than we always have. Are they being made much cheaper, anyone else experienced or heard of this?

Thanks, Boozoo

2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

strange. never had a problem with mine. did you call Echo?

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Are they solid steel shafts? Or a cable shaft?

4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Could be your trimmer racks. We have had a couple break over the years but it was simply due to metal against metal in the racks and rough terrain. Bad thing about it.....shafts are not cheap.
    Hope you find the culprit.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

easy fix-dont buy echo again

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Where are the shafts breaking ? A few years back I had a rash of Tanaka where the end was wearing out along with the clutch cup. And with out sounding like a commercial for Tanaka, Tanaka cover all repairs and parts with out a problem.
    Tanaka straight drive shafts are warrantied for the life of the machine, you should check the Echo website and see what their warranty is on drive shafts.

ericg likes this.
  7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you cut with them? Do you have the guard off?

8. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Taking the guard off only affects wear if you consistently put too much line out.
    And I can't stand the guards, they lower visibility and functionality. The only "guard" I can tolerate is an EDGIT. Now I love those, even if my helper is not as crazy about them; but I'm sure the EDGIT has been debated once or twice on this forum.

I wonder, does the use of an EDGIT violate warranty (I haven't used it on my new ECHO's)?

BTW, I only do light edging and trimming with them, y'know, the kind you do after mowing a typical middle class residential lawn. No ditchbanks in the wilderness, old gardens, tough stuff.

Thanks, Jamey