Echo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EMJ, Apr 25, 2008.

1. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I have mostly echo handhelds all about a year old. The problem I am having is they are hard starting when hot. I start them let the warm up a little bit at the first job, and they run fine. Get to the next house, they have been sitting on the rack in the trailer for about 15 minute. Go to start them, they will only start on choke. Open choke try to run full throttle and they die. Will only restart on full choke. They will idle but die when trying full throttle. They rev up then act like they ran out of gas. After about 3-5 mins they start to run fine with no problems. Could I be having some kind of vapor lock problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. briggs33

briggs33 LawnSite Member

I just fixed this problem on my echo srm-2100 trimmer and i found out that there is a screen in the muffler and they sometimes clog (mainly 2-stroke) and don't let the the exhaust gases out enough to let it throttle up. So take the muffler of and take it apart and either clean the screen or buy a new muffler. i had an extra laying around and it fixed mine, good luck!

3. peak2p2000

peak2p2000 LawnSite Member

while you have that muffler off look into the exhaust port and clean out the carbon deposits.

4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you got the above done, replace your spark plug by an E3 spark plug (ref. 3.12) with the electrode gap set at 0.025".
    I reduced the warm up time of my two PAS-265 to a few seconds just by doing this.

5. rclopez1118

rclopez1118 LawnSite Member

It`s an Echo!...there the only brand I know that pulls this kind of stuff. Carb problems are their specialty, and vibrating apart.

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I may question the extend of your knowledge then... :laugh:

7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I don't think there's really any question, 'Frog ! lol

8. rclopez1118

I know your not questioning my knowledge froggy? Over 25 years in this business and certified for Echo, Shindaiwa, and Stihl to name a few. Just telling you what my experience has been, and Echo schools telling us in `93 to use locktite when assembling units. Don`t be disrespectful..or a Pinhead!

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

rclopez, Echo carbs are problems you say? Aren't those same carburetors used on other brands as well? Are you saying they give problems on Echo but not on the other brands?

Do other brands not build up carbon on spark arrestors??

And fasteners don't vibrate loose on other brands??

We all have brand preferences and that's OK. I only have one Echo hand held blower, the cheapest model. I use Redmax and Shindaiwa; I like red !

10. rclopez1118

Yes,...only carb on Echo have more trouble for what ever reason that may be.
    Yes,..carbon will build up on spark arrestors on other brands too, but not due to the carb,..and no,..most other brands hold up longer than Echo.