Echo's leak more gas than they burn!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Jun 4, 2002.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody ever have this problem? When the sun heats up my trimmers on the rack, gas is being forced into the carb and drips out the air cleaner. It is all over the trailer and leaves oil all over. I replaced the vent and cap on the new one, 2601 bought new last year. Still leaks & floods all the time, won't start. Its a nice trimmer if you are lucky enough to get it started. Damn those californians! The older one 260 leaks worse but always starts. I think the vent is to let air into the tank so it won't vapor lock. But what lets air escape when they heat up. Any thoughts.
    Mark

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2601, it is about a year and a few months old and it starts on the 2nd pull every time and does not leak a thing, unless I spill it.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

The only piece of Echo equipment I have that problem with is my hedge trimmer (Hc 1500). I store it inside a plastic workbox, which may not be the best thing to do. My Toro push mower evaporates gas also. Other than those two pieces of equipment, no real problems to speak of. I do find Echo stuff a little stubborn sometimes.

4. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

Hmm, I was gonna say the same thing about my Shindowa's..:p

5. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

Have a echo 2100 this is my third head on the thing, have only had to change the plug twice, allways has started on the third
    or forth pull cold. Never had a problem with leaking gas. But it gettin time to retire it.

Personaly i dont think i will by another echo think i will move up
    to something else. Dont think some of this newer equipment is
    near as good as the old.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hmmm, my Echo hedge trimmer (HC-1500) leaks also.

7. Acme Bunny

Acme Bunny LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have had problems with the Echo's as well. They have leaked around the rubber seal in the tank that the fuel lines go through. I also, change the little filters that are on one of the fuel lines and set up in a slot on the engine covers. I think these are the filters that release pressure build up in the tank.

Drew

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

My Echo 2400 trimmer has the same problem, if i tip it on its side or if it gets jerked around too much on the trailer the gas starts dripping out of those holes around the air filter, so it takes like an extra 10min to dry it out put it back together and then pull the thing 5-6times to get it going, cause its all flooded. Ive talked to the guy at the dealer and he says it has something to do with some gasket leaking or failed???? Im gonna buy a 2400 Split Shaft Echo tommorow from him so ill ask him about it again.
    Today the trimmer worked fine didnt leak or anything, but like someone else said once you get that thing going it works like a champ.
    Matt(lawnman)

9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Mine leak too. I was told it’s because of the breather that comes from the fuel tank. For that reason I make sure mine are not laying on their sides on the rack like they used to do. Now they sit upright and don’t leak any more.

10. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

My Echo is 12 years old and have never had a problem.