Eco friendly machines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawngirly, Dec 6, 2007.

1. lawngirly

lawngirly LawnSite Member

Hi I'm from England and I'm new to this forum. In the UK the pressure is now on from the rule makers in the European Union to be aware of global warming and a lot of talk about everybody reducing their "carbon footprint" by creating less engine emissions, burning fuel more efficiently, etc, etc. The trouble is that in our industry there don't seem to be that many mowers/brushcutters/blowers that are very environmentally friendly.
    I've heard that California has some of the most stringent environmental laws, so I'd be really interested how the LCOs in that part of the world cope with that legislation and what type of machines they use.
    Louise

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

OVer the last few years I've switched my toro mowers and handheld equip to 4 stroke so it burns only gas and there are less emissions. I'm looking foward to when handhelds and mowers are battery powered and commercial quality. In the futurre I'll buy an electric or hybrid pick up truck.

3. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Soon we'll have to go back to grazing sheep on the town squares.

4. lawngirly

Because of European Union emmission laws it's impossible to buy a two-stroke mower here now - even the hover mowers have 4-stroke engines, which increases their weight. There doesn't seem to be any ban on two-stroke brushcutters though. Four-stroke brushcutters are available from Honda and Stihl, the latter is quite heavy by comparison with a similar two-stroke, but a friend has just purchased a four-stroke Honda brushcutter, I think it's about 30cc, and I was surprised how light it was.
    The biggest rechargeable battery mower available here is a 17 inch rotary with grass collection by Bosch, but it will only cut a maximum of about 5000sq.ft. between recharges, so not much good for commercial use.
    In some places here in England bio-diesel is available, but it is not on sale widely yet. I would consider buying a truck that runs on it if we could get it near me. The fuel is produced from plant matter so is sustainable, but there are already concerns that third world countries are producing the raw material at the expense of food crops. Some of the large bus companies here run their vehicles on used cooking oil, yes it's true!

5. lawngirly

No need to fertilize then :)