Eco Safe Weed Killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikeeee, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

Any recommendations on a eco safe weed killer for a commercial acct.

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

A loaded question. What exactly is eco safe. The term "killer" does not fit the mold of the environmentally conscious. Assuming that your definition of echo safe is natural based, then there is nothing that I know of that will kill a weed and not the grass. Corn glutamin can help prevent crabgrass. Fatty acids can kill, but not selectively. You may find some better info on the organics thread. I'm curious why you ask, it it your goal to be "eco safe" or your commercial clients?.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Triplett and Roundup are good.

4. cemars

Do you consider triplett an eco safe product?.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Burnout is the environmentally friendly Roundup...

6. Grandview

from WI

I consider Triplett and Roundup eco safe.

7. cemars

Tripltt, which contains 2,4-d is one of the most contentious weed control products on the market. It has a long soil residual and can be found in ground water in most wartersheds throughout the US. Ecologically speaking, it is in a whole different category than gyposhate (round-up) which breaks down fairly quick in the environment and has minimal impact on ground water. Are you licensed ?, you should know this stuff.

8. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

My client is a metal fabrication factory that is tested regularly by the state enviromental folks for the run off from their factory. They have areas around their facility that they want the weeds and grass to be controlled(killed) as opposed to paying the extra cost of weedeating as a total it is about a half acre or so with big rocks mixed in (cant mow) but because of runoff from the plant they are tested regularly for their water quality and don't want the weed/grass killer to make matters worse, ie they fail a test I no cut grass for them anymore. I figured that Roundup would be ok as I probably am not going to spray but maybe 2 or 3 times all year. But wanted some input from the pro's. Thanks!

9. mikeeee

mikeeee LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I am not licensed for the use of industrial chemicals or pesticides but if I needed to hire someone who is I wanted to have a little more knowledge on the subject and you have provided me with some valuable info of which I am greatful!!!

Thanks Again!!!

10. Grandview

from WI

I know about some of the controversy surrounding 2-4D. It does not have a long residual. Two weeks after spraying you would be hard pressed to find any in the soil. It breaks down into harmless byproducsts, mostly water and carbon. I have never heard of 2-4D being found in the ground water. Most pesticides that get to the ground water come from spills or loads that are siphoned back into wells when filling tanks. 2-4D has been tested again and again and has never been scientifically linked to anything. Yes, I still consider it safe.