Ecoboost or 5.3 Vortec?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by joed, Feb 2, 2011.

1. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Obama...now you've said too much!

2. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

DavidNJ-

What are your thoughts on the Dodge Hemi 5.7?

And your are 100% correct, your truck needs to match your needs.

3. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

The Hemi is a nice engine in its context; it is a very sophisticated 2-valve pushrod engine. The combustion chamber is an advanced design, the valves canted (like a Ford Cleveland, Boss 302, Boss 429 (now in production by Kasse), and the Engine Masters multiple time winner CHI heads from Australia). To that it adds 2 plugs per cylinder. On this engine it allowed a particularly straight intake port.

However, all of these gymnastics come with every overhead cam engine like the new Ford 6.2L. You need separate intake and exhaust cams to fully control valve timing; this is important in controlling overlap and intake valve closing. The flexibility in intake valve closing allows a higher static compression allowing a higher expansion ratio without exceeding the maximum dynamic compression.

Direct injection dramatically extends that functionality. Multiple valves improve the breathing dramatically without requiring aggressive cam profiles. Etc. etc. etc.

Net, compared to other 2-valve V8s, especially pushrod or single OHC engines, it is a very strong contender. I've never heard anyone complain and their are lots of people who focus on it in their Dodge Magnums, Challengers, and Chrysler 300s.

Note, the Ford V8s are single overhead cam so they DON'T allow separate intake and exhaust timing. The EcoBoost has everything except variable valve lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF66aVPhPfc

4. 360ci

5. 360ci

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You're wrong about the 5.0.

7. DavidNJ

You're right...Ford has been active. I didn't realize the 5.0 had new heads. DOHC, 11:1 compression, although still port injection and a pretty limp torque curve for a truck. I guess it does better in the Mustang where it produce more torque and more HP.

11:1 with port injection and regular gas shows the advantage of the independent intake and exhaust cams.

If you want state of the art in a 1/2 ton engine: EcoBoost.

After that it doesn't seem like there is much difference. I wonder when it will make it to the Expedition.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

5.0 = 10.5:1

9. DavidNJ

I must have read Mustang data.

10. 360ci

Yep, the 'stang is 11:1.