1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Economical edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevieraysod, May 28, 2003.

1. stevieraysod

stevieraysod LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a sidewalk edger. Don't want to spend a bundle since it won't be used every week. Have plenty of extension cord capability. Would you go gas or electric? Where would you buy? I'm not convinced that a curved shaft string trimmer with the "edgit" attachment can give the look or do the job of a blade style edger. Or am I wrong? Opinions please. Thanks
  2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

go with a gas edger definitely. we have a three wheel edger and it's a pain in the *****. stick edgers are better but cost more. maybe get a used three wheel and use it for the beginning of the year edging. then get the edgit to maintain the edge. the edgit works great. maybe check e-bay for some good deals.

check out www.edgit.com

good luck
  3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look @ garage sales for a edger (gas)

I bought a 2hp mclane for $20- The starter rope broke and I bought a new blade but, for $28- I have a pretty good edger.

Try ebay there are several on there right now.
  4. stevieraysod

stevieraysod LawnSite Member

I've seen the Black and Decker EdgeHog at Wal Mart. Anybody have one or use one?
  5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Will this be used for commercial purposes or strictly your own lawn? If for commercial, definetely look into commercial units (gas of course). I strongly recommend a stick edger. If you are edging any kind of curve, a three wheel can be a real pain. Just my opinion though.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres my $35 edger. $20 at an auction $10 for a new star blade and $5 for a new belt. It's an old MTD with plastic wheels but I only use it for new edges. I maintain everything with my edgit.

7. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

go gas! extension cords are a hassle, gas is easy.
  8. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

I honestly wouldn't consider electric anything on the job - unless it's the shaver I use in the morning, and that's cordless.

There are too many problems that go with electric equipment. They are underpowered, limited to where you can plug in, the length of the cord you're willing to drag around, and so on, and so on... not to mention the fact that most electric trimmers, edgers, etc., have a pretty short lifespan it seems.

And then there are the funny looks you get from folks who see the nice "lawn care professional" wrestling with a 100' extension cord. ;)

We've got an inexpensive 3.5 horse wheeled edger for bigger jobs like those spring messes and making nice strait lines. It cost somewhere around $250.

Also use a gas-powered stick edger for quick and easy edging to maintain a clean look.

Short story - go gas for commercial use.