Economical equipment choices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Jun 13, 2001.

1. The first thing some of the new LCOs do is go out and buy too much new expensive equipment.

One of the cheapest and best tools an LCO can have is one of these handheld $10 plastic spreaders.

They work great in small areas esp. when spreading pre-m in larger landscape beds and on lawns up
    to ½ acre.

I always carry a bag of 32-5-7 and a seasonal product (right now Dursban) in 5 gal buckets with lids in the bed of my p/u. You can’t sell from an empty wagon.

Here is a line from my new screenplay called Lawn Apocalypse Now:

I love the smell of Dursban in the morning.

It smells like Victory.

2. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I thought that they had decided to take Dursban off the market because of cancer causing agents and brain tumors?

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Larry,

I have one of those hand-held spreaders on all application trucks and bed-detail crews, I love those things.

But do a 20,000 sq. ft. lawn with one? I think you may have sniffed too much Dursban.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Another economical idea...

Always try and get the 2 cycle oil in the largest container sold.

A used truck depreciates slower and is as effective as a $30,000 truck. Toroguy has invested a whopping $2000(total) into his 90,000 mile rig, added a cheap paint job, and it is as presentable as any in the service area.

I love the smell of a debt free operation.

Stone,
    Looking forward to your Lawn Apocalypse now presentation. Is it a network show?

I heard Dursban has a slow timeframe allowed to dissappear from the shelves.

5. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

There are several 1/2 tons out there with 30K on them for only $13k-$15k! My wife and I hope to be able to pay cash for everything we need and moving to a Gear-Drive instead of Hydro saved me $1600 - That's a lot of 2 cycle equipment!

I may have to squeek by on a loan on the truck, so we have some capital for a house, but I would have had a payment on my current car anyway, so it's a bit of a wash...

I also wanted to have as low a debt as possible so if I had to under cut the competition a bit in my first year, I wouldn't ruin my profit margin!

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new truck in 98 (Ram 1500) for $18000. Not quite as low as the 15K mentioned but you can get lower financing rates on new trucks and 1 in 10 used cars/trucks are lemons and you can't tell unless you are in the body repair business. Plus a new truck has never had some lady (sorry gals) forget to change the oil for 5 months while she racked up 9000 miles. I believe in new equipment and trucks because time used repairing them is time I could be making $50/hour. Plus the newer and better the mowers and lawn equip. the more efficient and profitable I am.