1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Economy Affecting You Lawn Business ?? Vote / Comment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Jun 27, 2008.

How is your city's local economy affecting your lawn / yard business ??

1. Economy is bad and we are feeling a loss

32 vote(s)
  2. Economy is bad, but we're absorbing work from out of business companies

8 vote(s)
  3. Economy seems so-so and we notice little difference

40 vote(s)
  4. Economy is pretty good and we are flourishing or doing well

29 vote(s)
  5. Other ?

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

How is the economy doing in your local areas?

Is business - not just you - going good for lawn care, or bad for lawn / yard care?

Feel free to share about your own situation too.

In Portland, the economy seems to be holding strong. Even home prices are holding pretty good.

If you don't mind sharing, what may be the one or two most significant things you have done to adapt to current changes in prices, economy, etc.?

For us, the main thing we did was a 25% increase in prices, since we had not raised our rates in about 4 years.

So far, it's working well.
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Virtually nil comments, but the votes are coming in.

Interesting - almost equal numbers right now for 3 main regions of the gauge.
  3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We have never been so busy, or had so many good leads that panned out as we have this year. We are already taking bids for next spring. I think what we are seeing is a direct result of the housing market. Not in a bad way, but people are not using the real estate ladder to get ahead anymore. Many realize they are in a house they will be in for some time now, so they are willing to put the money into making it somewhere they want to stay for a while. Not only landscape installs, but more people who want a full service maintenance contract, that's what has been somewhat surprising to us. We figured people would try to save by doing some of the work themselves on the day to day stuff, but just about every install we have done has signed on for maint. also. We are beginning to see some layoffs in some bigger industries around here so I'm guessing things will level off over the next few years. I remember in the 70's how scared everyone was, but we pulled through, it is a little scary though, just wondering when is it going to turn bad, and how bad will it get. I don't think it's a question of if anymore, but when.
  4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

My company is very young, but has been built with cash and it has enough income to get through some slower times. I just had a friend approach me the other day to sell some accts. (he lost so many while he was out of commission for a few months that the 20+ he has left won't pay the bills). My company has the money to buy them and I think it may be just what I need to break into a more populated area (my main area now is fairly rural). I'm getting lots of landscape estimates, but nobody wants to pull the trigger on a job over $1k. With that said, earlier this year we did a $4k+ landscape install and a $2k sod install which were my biggest projects to date. I think in 1-2 yrs. a lot of the part timers and lawn jockeys will be gone and the more professional, efficiently run companies will be stronger than ever picking up the slack left behind. But I'm an optimist, so who knows?!
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel prices are the main worry of folks around here. As far the local economy have not noticed much of a slowdown. But the main economy is agriculture. My town is the state capitol so govenment is also a staple here. The other part of the economy here is tourism... Mainly from outdoor sports like hunting and fishing.

Talk this year is Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will be smaller than past gatherings. In fact there are open motel rooms... Something that hasn't really happened in 18 plus years.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

our economy was never really that good so I really did not notice anything. Now as far as my business goes the only thing that I have noticed is my fuel bills are bigger. I am aas busy as I was last year and even a bit more! So we are thriving!
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I have enough work. I can take on some more... But its more than I had last year.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Laconia ( NH ) bike week wrapped up last weekend and the #s are in. It was the smallest crowd and the smallest$ amount in 15 yrs.
  9. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Well things were very tight in March and we were worried how most of our commercials were going to spend there money, well it all worked out and I see no stopping for right now. We just moved in to a much larger shop, just hired another landscape architect/sales overhead shot up a lot but its paying off real quick. As far as fuel goes we store it on site so it’s expensive no mater what we do, Just have to have it in your contracts for fuel surcharge and it pays for it self and with some profit. This will be another banner year.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Economy is down here, housing is horrible, home prices down about 30% in my area but it was due. Wannabe flippers were going crazy here a couple of years ago. Building is down so anything associated with building has slowed and people are being laid off.

Good for me :clapping: I have had the best hiring pool in years. One bigger but new company L/S closed its doors yesterday. I have been getting more leads and closing more than ever.

Slowdowns like a good hard freeze are good from time to time to get rid of some the overgrown growth that no one is willing to cut on their own. Well managed companies will emerge stronger and the crap well... We all know what happens to the crap.